Saturday, March 08, 2014

this, the day of my birth

My 27th birthday has been pretty great so far: morning writing at The Anchor followed by brunch there with Jessie and Tony (I treated myself to a western omelette, wheat toast, and hash-browns covered with onions and cheese; oh, and orange juice and coffee!). We took the party back to the Hobbit Hole, where Jessie signed her lease over to me (now I have two cars, so I'm rich!), and we spent the afternoon drinking beer (well, I did) and talking about life, the future, and everything with the Wisconsinite. They headed out, and I talked with Mandy for a little while before heading to Blue Ash to hang out with the guys. I'm helping Ben fix dinner and am amping up to chow down on some sushi I brought from Fusian. Here's a pic of my new car:

#carpaymentsareforlosers
also, #carpaymentsareforthosewhocanaffordthem

The absolute BEST part of my birthday, however, is what I woke up to: a wonderful "Happy Birthday Rap" from the Wisconsinite, coupled with her singing me Happy Birthday and yet another video on Facebook cleverly put together that made my heart melt and a smile grow wide on my face. Really, she's the only one who makes me grin ear-to-ear. I thank God for her every morning, every day, every night. In a sense, that's a figure of speech: I thank God for her all the time. In another sense, it's literal: I literally thank God for her every time of day. She really is an answer to prayer, and I hope and pray I will be a continual answer to her prayers as I strive to lead her and love her as Christ leads and loves the church. "Where did that come from?" you ask. Don't be fooled: as The Black Keys put it, "Girl is always on my mind." The best birthday present is simply seeing her face and hearing her voice. I'm not even being sappy, that's straight-up truth. 

Now I'm going to eat some sushi.
And watch Jumanji for like the sixth time in just as many days.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...