Thursday, January 15, 2015

on writing


If you read my Weekly Updates, you know I've been doing LOTS of writing lately. I've been trying to devote large chunks of time to that which I love most, and I've been making lots of headway while smoking cigarettes at The Anchor or trying to drown out Tim Allen's voice in Galaxy Quest. Here's some updates for the few who care:

The Revisions. I started revising my earlier works--36 Hours and the Dwellers of the Night trilogy--back in 2010. A few days ago I finished revising the last chapter of the last book, and I'm stoked about having that burden off my chest. Now I can focus solely on original writing rather than revisions. It's time to start cracking away at that 2015 Resolution of writing two new novels this year.

The Original Work. As far as original writing goes, I'm already about fifty pages into the second book of the Procyon Strain Saga. The vast bulk of the book takes place in Cincinnati and ends in a farm house a few miles outside Rabbit Hash, Kentucky. The Claypole Clan is finding themselves "in good form" yet again. Amos and Amanda are primary characters (as they were in Book One), and the rest of the gang serves as secondary characters (Rob, Mandy, and Blake). Blake will be a prominent character in the last third of the book, and I'm going to be killing off either Rob or Mandy, I'm not sure who it'll be, though. My hope is to make each book different in its own little ways, and whereas Book One followed a relatively simple "chapter-by-chapter" progression, this book will be comprised of 4-5 "Acts" around 100 pages long each. There's going to be lots of zombie actions (lots more than in the previous book), so that this one is story-driven rather than character-driven (as was the case with Book One). I'll post some excerpts along the way.

The Website. Now that I've finished the revisions and put them back on the printing press, it's time to start getting the word *back* out there. It was a toss-up between standing beside the water cooler and throwing that Barnhart name around, or just making a website. I've decided to run with the second option because I don't know of any water cooler locations off the top of my head. The website's still in production, but when it's up and running, I'm sure there will be a post about it. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...