Friday, November 01, 2019

the reformation: one year



It's officially been one year since I started working to get back in shape. I've hit my goal of 160 pounds, which is thirty pounds lost (woohoo!), and it feels good to fit back into clothes I optimistically kept when I 'outgrew' them three years ago. It hasn't been an easy journey, and there's been plenty of mess-ups. Over the months I've had to constantly tweak my diet and exercise regimens as I become more knowledgeable in healthy living. I still have a lot of work to do (my belly and 'back fat' are rather stubborn, which is a pretty common theme), and I'm excited to see more changes in the months ahead. Here's a 'before and after' from November of last year to late October of this year (190 pounds to 160 pounds):



This month I'm doing a harsh cut and joining a 'pull-up bar' challenge. Basically this means I'm going low carb (less than 130 grams a day max) and high protein (around 140 grams a day) and focusing mostly on exercises that involve a pull-up bar. I'm also trying to work more on my legs (though they're getting better, I've still got that 'chicken leg' syndrome going on) and on my forearms (I've had a hard time building them up, probably because I have a small wrist; there's a correlation between forearm strength and wrist size). The forearm is a big deal, because I've gotten to where I can lift pretty heavy in bicep curls, but my forearms are threatening to blow out even before my biceps feel strained. We'll see how it goes! I'm hoping to get down to 145 by the turn of the new year, which would put me solidly in the NOT overweight category.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...