Wednesday, January 28, 2004

how far would I go?

Got a forwarded email a couple weeks ago that I haven't forgotten. We've all been asked that deep question, "Would you die for Jesus?" and I imagine most people--just like me--answer, "Yes," without really thinking about it. That's the obvious answer for any Christian. But lately I've thought about it much deeper than that, asking myself, "How far would I go?" To die is one thing; torture is another. I don't know how strong my will would be under torture, I have to admit. But I've never encountered torture for Christ (unless having your hair pulled until your scalp bleeds, and being bashed in the face with a book-end is torture, I don't know). How far would I go? God gives us strength in times of trouble, and he won't let us endure anything we can't handle--we can all handle temptation, the troubles and trials, and even going as far as deciding between living and dying (in a physical sense) for Jesus. The deciding force, though, isn't CAN we, but WILL we? It's a question of willpower. How far are we willing to go for Jesus, when all pressupositions are stripped away, when our future rests on that decision?

In the middle of a church service, several gunmen entered the congregation, took over the microphone, and said, "Anyone who doesn't wish to die for Jesus, leave now." Slowly at first--then faster--people stood and ran from the room, until only a handful of people remained. The pastor stood ashen-faced behind the gunmen; the lead gunman turned, lowered his gun, and said, "All the hypocrites are gone. Now you can continue with your sermon." And the gunmen left, leaving those who had remained sitting in stunned silence.

How far would I go for Jesus?
How far would you go for Jesus?

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...