Tuesday, January 27, 2004

joyous temptation?

Well we had our first snow day yesterday. That was fun. But when I went to bed, I just wanted more. Funny how that is, eh? No matter how much we get, no matter how many blessings we receive, we want more. People are greedy.

I've been reading James, and I have to say, it's amazing. When I wake up in the morning, I dread temptation, because I know how terrible and painful it is to deal with--I sympathize with those who are struggling with overcoming drug addictions, I suspect--in some ways--not giving into temptation and going through withdrawal are somewhat alike. I always feared the coming of temptation; a lot of times it is horribly strong, so strong I sometimes see spots before my eyes and go weak. So, nonetheless, I relucantly walked into the day, knowing--sometime, somewhere--temptation would hit.

Then I read James 1:2,3--"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance."

I think we should see temptation not in its darkness, but its light. Instead of thinking, "Oh, great, temptation, just what I need," we need to say, "Awesome! Temptation! I can fight against it, and I can win, and produce endurance, endurance, and my faith will grow stronger!" Maybe not view it so energetically, but definitely see it in a new light--if it was so horrible, would God allow us--the ones he loves--to be tempted? No! But he gives us what we can handle, and knows that if we fight, we can draw closer to Him through the battles and victories. Instead of viewing temptation with a dreaded reluctance, I should be cautious and wary, and yet when the temptation comes, be joyful, for if I fight and win, my faith will grow stronger.

Just something that's been on my mind...

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...