Friday, February 03, 2006




I have started studying this book, Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster. The last book I read, OneThing, focused on God's desire for intimacy with us, and how we are to pursue intimacy with God above all else. I have felt God calling to me lately, as my faithful readers know, to a "more intimate walk with Thee." Foster's book, Celebration of Discipline, focuses on the biblical disciplines that have been ordained by God to help develop our intimacy with Him.
    Today I read the chapter on "fasting." Fasting, in the biblical sense, is an abstaining from food (or in extreme cases, water) for extended periods of time. All the major characters in scripture practiced this discipline, and Jesus harmonized giving, praying, and fasting as equal in the Sermon on the Mount.
      In fasting, we are to fast with our eyes singly upon God and glorifying Him. Fasting reveals those things that control us, those aspects of the sinful nature that still cling to us. In fasting, we are not weak and miserable for God sustains us with His power. Fasting helps keep balance in life (far too many of us give such potency to food). Many miscellaneous blessings have been discovered in fasting--more intimate prayer, more guidance in life, increased concentration, deliverance from bondage, physical well-being, revelations, etc.
        I have felt God calling me to fasting many times, but I have been, for the most part, unwilling. The reason? I like food too much. I understand that food controls me; in lofty language, "my stomach has hold on me." In fasting, I must focus on God and God alone, and allow Him to speak to me and transform me. I am considering a fruit and vegetable fast for a few days (although this isn't biblical in the legalist sense), and eventually I want to be able to withhold from food for several days at a time, though this takes time. I want to learn the value of fasting; I want to make the joy of my predecessors mine.

        4 comments:

        Anonymous said...

        Anth,

        My experience with fasting has been positive. The times that I have fasted were related to someone having a health issue, and I would fast the day of their surgery or the day they are going to the doctor for diagnosis (cancer).

        Normally I fasted for about 36 hours, not eating any food, but drinking water. Like no food after supper on Monday night until breakfast on Weds morning.

        For me, as my body and mind react to no food it offers me a reminder of the person I am fasting for. So they are on my mind continually during the fast and it reminds me to continually lift them up in prayer.

        I reminder one person that I was fasting for had to go to the Cleveland Clinic for a diagnosis. When they got to the clinic, the diagnosis got delayed a day, so I ended up fasting an extra 24 hours. At the end of may fast I went to Wendy's for lunch - I will never forget how good that meal tasted.

        love,
        dad

        Anonymous said...

        Isaiah 58 has some interesting thoughts on fasting.

        Rochelle said...

        Anthony
        I agree with your dad It has really been a positive thing for me too I have fasted for various reasons..each time it has given me a clarity and I've felt such a strong closeness to God and to the person if there was someone else involved Jesus doesn't say "if you fast" he says "when you fast" Matthew 6:17 I also had 2 special people in my life who fasted for me when I was diagnosed with breast cancer and that to me was the ultimate expression of friendship and love

        Dylan said...

        Fasting is a very powerful and required part of our spiritual walk. I can say that I fasted someone one time that I had just met that day, and God told me to fast for him for 5 days. I just met this guy! I dont mean to say that to be prideful, But I did and God delivered him from alot of bondage and things that were keeping him in chains. Very powerful stuff. I miss you man! God bless.

        where we're headed

        Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...