Thursday, February 16, 2006

The weather has been amazing. It came as a surprise: the clear skies and warm temperatures yesterday felt like spring, and even with rain, today has been absolutely beautiful. As Caleb and I walked down to the chapel across the quad, "Today is a good day to have a girl." Then, "But it's a great day to be single, too." He agreed. Today, I keep feeling like I am at Woodland Lakes Christian camp, which I attended before my freshman year of high school. It's crazy to think that it's been four years since that week that really initiated much of my spiritual growth.

Here is something I found fascinating in my study of the life of Abraham. In chapter 17, we find ourselves alongside Abram and Sarai when their names are transformed into Abraham and Sarai, when God reveals Himself as El-Shaddai, the "God of power who makes His people fruitful." God gives Abraham the covenant sign: circumcision. He commands Abraham and all males to be circumcised. There are two parts to this covenant sign: the act and the fact. The act of the sign is the cutting of the male's foreskin. The fact is the scar left on the body. Why was the covenant sign circumcision? Simply because the most emphasized promise God made to Abraham was many descendants; the promise had to do with reproduction. In Christ, circumcision and uncircumcision mean nothing... But there is still a covenant sign! The sign of the new covenant, just like the sign of the old covenant, has two parts: act and fact. The act is baptism, and the fact is the "scar" of the Holy Spirit's presence in our lives, revealing that we really belong to the new covenant.

1 comment:

tenahawkins said...

Beautifully put bro! That's exactly what my study said as well.
I also meant to tell you that I liked how you would use Yahweh in some of your blogs. Gives it a nice change and deeper understanding of which facet of God your talking about.
Cool thoughts!

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...