Sunday, July 09, 2006

The sermon went amazingly well. I have preached/taught so many times that I am not nervous anymore, though sometimes I honestly wish I were nervous, because the nervousness helps with my clarity (I'm really not sure how that works). I preached on what it means to be a Christian, emphasis on how our behavior is supposed to change from selfish, greedy, indifferent, and self-indulgent behavior to selfless, generous, loving, and God-pleasing, God-honoring, and God-serving behavior. My point was this: "If you claim to be a Christian with your lips, make sure your actions claim it as well. If someone were to accuse you of being a Christian, would they have enough evidence to convict you? Jesus says that his followers will be known not so much for what they believe, but for the kind of people they are--a people of compassionate, action-oriented love in a world overcome with hate and indifference. The scriptures clearly tell us that if we claim to pledge allegiance to Christ but do not actually do so, we are liars. Sometimes we pretend we are Christians so much that we convince ourselves that we are something we are not." It isn't the most pleasant message in the world, I know, but it's wholly scriptural. I also threw in the Hebraic perspectives on faith (i.e. commitment to Christ) and repentance (saying "I'm sorry" and feeling bad about sin doesn't count; there must be change).

On the way to the church, my Jeep broke down. We really don't know what happened. As I write this, we're trying to get the van to work (Doogie chewed up all the wires; dumb dog). If we can't get it to work, then... well... I won't have a car, and I won't be working, and I will be stranded at home. I am selling the desktop P.C., so if I am not able to work, I'll easily make up the money. We'll see what happens.

In French, my name means "Valley of Dry Bones." Actually, I made that up. It'd be cool, though, wouldn't it? Hah!

3 comments:

Fiona said...

What kind of change do you mean? Like, never do it again? I don't really know HOW you can change, even though you really want to.

What kind of car do you have. I love cars :)

I don't know what your real name is, otherwise I could probably translate it correctly for you, IF there is a possible translation.

darker than silence said...

I'm guessing you mean, "What kind of change in behavior." A lot of Christians--especially here in the United States--see a change of behavior as action-oriented, in the sense that one is changed if he/she doesn't drink, smoke, cuss, whatever your poison is. When I think of the change God calls us to, the change I speak of here, I'm talking about how our lifestyles and attitudes (and actions will be included)change: change from a self-centered, greedy, overly self-indulgent, indifferent to God and others life to a life of serving others in love, being generous with our gifts, loving God and loving others above ourselves. What this look likes will change as our lives go on and in the cultures we find ourselves in.

If you mean, "What kind of change is repentance all about?", I'd say repentance is the same: abandoning the "worldly" life of selfishness, greed, etc. and embracing a "divine" life: a life of love and servitude to God and fellow man.

I drive a Jeep. I love it.

And my real name is "Anthony." Hah.

Fiona said...

Ok I thanks for the explanation ;)

Cool a jeep :D

Your name doesn't have a French translation, but your name would be "Antoine" in French. :P

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...