Monday, January 26, 2009

monday musings

I was hoping to spend six hours writing this morning/afternoon, between 9:00 and 3:00, but it came to my attention at the last minute that I had to work during that opening. Thus my ambitions have been shattered. I haven’t been able to write in a week or two, and the effects are numbing. Writing is like a drug for me, and if I don’t get to take it, I become irritable and closed-off and unhappy. Basically, I go through withdrawal, like a person addicted to cigarettes or heroin. When I have not been writing for a while, I find that I am thinking about writing all the time. For instance, in the coffee shop today, as I made lattes and cappuccinos, my eyes kept darting around the cafĂ© and imagining all sorts of spectacular events and how they would be transcribed by pen. My friend Hensel came in, sat down at the bar, and continued taking notes on a superhero book he is working on. Chatting with him about these things made me want to get back to writing as soon as possible. Unfortunately, due to a large quantity of papers and book reviews to be written this week, my leisure writing will have to be put on hold.

A friend and I are having a very special discussion this evening. Not “special” in the sense of romantic, but special in the sense that we are both going to be sharing our feelings regarding certain circumstances that have woven their way into our lives. I’m hoping that any confusion on either party’s side will be extinguished, and that we can both be open and honest about how we really feel about everything. I am always apprehensive about these talks, because I know that they can either strain a relationship or make it stronger. Usually it takes one of those two routes. I am hoping for the second outcome, that the friendship will deepen and be enriched, and my friend made a good point: “Not talking about how we really feel about this could put an even worse strain on the relationship than if we were open and honest about it.” She’s right. So we’re going to talk about this, and I’m looking forward to it: she’s a great friend, and it is relatively easy to be open and honest with her.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...