Monday, January 12, 2009

spring semester: the first week

Monday. Class started at 10:00. Job & Lamentations with Dan Dyke. I found a check in my school mailbox for $140. I spent most of the evening in my dorm room, laid over with a headache. I grabbed dinner from Pizza Hut and hung out with J.T., Morocco, and Kyle for a while. I went to WalGreens and bought some pens for note-taking. I called Jessie come nightfall, and we talked for a bit. Justin V. broke up with his girlfriend, and it’s probably a reliable guess that he will pursue Jessie. She’ll date him, and I’ll be kicked to the curb. *SIGH* But that’s how things go; history doesn’t lie.

Tuesday. I took a nap after Job & Lamentations and went to The Anchor for dinner. I’ve been there so much that the waitresses know me, and they have coffee waiting for me! Back in my dorm room, I did some editing and revising of losing touching searching, which I finished in 2007, before the start of my Junior Year at C.C.U. It’s actually very good—and depressing. It’s all about suffering, but at least it has a happy ending.

Wednesday. I cried today. I was on Chapter 4 in losing touching searching, where I write about how happy I was with Julie (a.k.a. Rebecca). The memories literally hurt. After class (33 pages of notes so far) I went to The Anchor again for a cheeseburger and coffee. I called Jessie to talk, but she was on the phone with (you guessed it!) Justin. I have been contemplating scripture all day today: Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will grant you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37.14.

Thursday. In class Dyke had me stand up in front of everyone, and he said, “This is my special friend. We share a secret no one else knows. I caught him doing something, nothing bad, a very wholesome thing, and when I think about it, it’s so funny that it makes me want to cry!” I met up with Jobst and took him to the tobacco shop in Florence, Kentucky where he bought a new pipe. We went to The Anchor and drank coffee, smoked, talked theology. I called Jessie tonight, and we talked for two hours! So much laughter and great conversation.

Friday. Class was over 12:15. I went back to Mom & Dad’s in Dayton, then went over to Dewenter’s house. We played chess, drank homemade beer, strummed on the guitar, and watched Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston. Our evening concluded with coffee and cigarettes. Mom ordered pizza for dinner, a weird way to commemorate the 1-Year Anniversary of Doogie’s Death.

Saturday. I didn’t fall asleep until 5 AM last night, and I woke at 2 PM. I spent the afternoon writing, went to Dorothy Lane Market for a nice-sized rib-eye steak, and cooked it at home. I watched American History X and talked with Jessie for a while. Grandma M. came down from Tipp City. She’s here till the 14th, then going down to Atlanta.

Sunday. Dad and I went to Showcase Cinemas by the Dayton Mall and saw the movie Gran Torino. I returned to campus and went to the Rine lobby where I hung out with Jessie, Faikham, and Deshay. They’re all in town for an early week. Bullard—a.k.a. “Stupid Farmer”—, Kyle, Gambill and I hung out till bedtime.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...