Wednesday, June 03, 2009

my summer job has begun

My life has been consumed with work. My day begins around 5:00 in the morning, when I wake up, fix coffee, take a shower, and get dressed. It is still dark outside when I leave the house, and the commute to the summer camp is an hour-long drive. Half of the drive is spent driving underneath bridges on a multi-lane highway, and as I pass by the King’s Island amusement park, I get off at the exit and dive into the countryside. The second half of the drive is down twisting, turning roads resplendent with hills covered with trees, then across a bridge spanning the Little Miami, and then through several small towns. I reach camp by 6:30, and there I spend the next eight hours helping to cook meals for campers. I help with breakfast and lunch, and currently we are fixing lunch for two camps and driving back-and-forth between them to deliver and serve food. Around 2:00 I get to go home, where I take a power-nap and then spend the evening with my roommates, Amanda and Sarah. Out of three summer jobs, it’s the second worst; but the first two cannot be compared with: working as a camp counselor at Joseph Badger Meadows and doing a preaching internship in Minnesota. I am working a lot, and I am making good money, and all the bills and groceries and gas can easily be paid-for.


My roommates and I have started doing devos a few nights a week. All of us are in different stages in our “Christian Walks,” and devos serve as a time for us to get together and talk about God and Jesus and spiritual things, confess our struggles and help one another through encouragement and rebuke. It is a good time, and we are being strengthened and convicted in various ways. Last night we talked about the nature of true faith: it is commitment and loyalty to Christ, not mere intellectual “easy-believism.”

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...