Sunday, September 27, 2009

autumn has come!

Autumn has come. “It came a few days ago,” Kevin said. But finally it actually feels like fall. Autumn is my favorite season. Pumpkin pies, hot steaming coffee in the cold, the way the leaves change colors and fall from their perches in the trees, the crisp coolness that fills your lungs and the football being tossed around. Nearly all my favorite memories come from autumn. Hot dogs, hay-rides, dressing warm and walking the windy streets. One of my high school friends, whom I’ve shared countless autumns with—“We’ve been friends eleven years,” he told me—came down to Cincinnati yesterday, and we went to Newport and saw the movie “Surrogates,” and we walked the cobblestone paths by the river and drank Venezuelan coffee, and when Sarah got back from work we went to Blockbuster and rented two ridiculous “horror” movies: “Teeth” (about a girl’s you-know-what that has teeth) and “The Gingerdead Man” which stars Gary Busey and is about, well, a vengeance-seeking gingerbread cookie (we stopped it halfway through because the acting and storyline was awful). We spent the night sitting around and talking about all kinds of things. The religious state of America, the biblical realities of sin and the need for repentance, false teachings such as legalism and antinomianism, and the status of Christians before God and whether or not addiction is sin.


It’s rained nearly non-stop for the last week, and it stormed awfully bad last night, but now that the sky is clear and crisp, Sarah and I decided to celebrate by carving a pumpkin! We bought it from Kroger and carved it on the front porch, and I dished out the seeds and cooked them salted in the oven. They’re delicious. We watched the Bengals vs. Steelers game on television, and she got really into it, leaping up and down and cursing and shrieking and screaming for every good play and bad play both. Here is a picture Sarah took of me scooping seeds from the pumpkin:



1 comment:

Cory Isaac said...

"Teeth" was viewed at my apartment and we actually shunned the movie from being mentioned. I was appalled.

I am also in love with the fall. Seeing the leaves on your page made me want to get started on the rest of the leaves on my sleeve.

Sounds like you and your friend had some great conversation. Wish I could've been there. Let's get together... Friday?

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...