Friday, July 08, 2011

the new job

The new job's going great. Tazza Mia, with three locations in the downtown area. 600 Vine (where I'm at), a store at the Carew Tower, and then a kiosk in the Chiquita Building. My sole job right now is food prep, and I'm starting barista training next week with Rob. Then I'll be doing both food prep and working behind the counter spinning my tricks and making my tips. 

My day generally begins around 6:30 when I wake up. I'm out the door by 7:00, and I park in the ghetto-fabulous Race Street parking garage. $6.00 a day (pretty cheap for the area) and despite being dimly lit and filled with all sorts of monsters, it's damn close to Fountain Square. I make the seven-minute walk through downtown, passing through Fountain Square and then crossing the street to my workplace, where I still have ten minutes to kill before my shift. I have myself some coffee and a cigarette, and then I'm on the floor till anywhere between 3-4:00 (depending on how busy we are). The day's spent tossing salads, doing dishes, making food, having my own party in the small back kitchen. I like the people I work with, and I'm being integrated into the flow of the cafe, so I'm not just "the new guy" but am becoming a valuable member of the team. Rob works there with me, roasting in the corner; Amos works down the street; and my friends Chris and Andy may be getting hired on. The job's great, streamlined, challenging but not overwhelming, and I'm really looking forward to the barista part. 

I do miss my friends from Spring Valley, and I miss the chaos of the morning rush. The thrill, the exhilaration, of being on the bar, cranking out drinks like a moth on meth. I miss working with Carly and Jessica. And I'm excited about being with Tazza Mia, enjoying the job and the co-workers, and I know this won't be something I regret. I can't see how it would be (unless I lose an entire finger or hand next time).

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...