Tuesday, July 12, 2011

pride day '11

The Gay Pride parade was this past weekend. I honestly didn't know about it until I was downtown with Gambill to grab some beers at Rock Bottom. After drinking our beers--I had the Summer Blonde, a delicious brew--we walked around the Square and listened to the bands playing. Men dressed up as women, women dressed up as men. Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" as every other song. The best people watching ever. Talking to some of the people there, including a guy who thought Gambill and I were the cutest couple, it was good to see people being honest with themselves and not cowering in shame or self-loathing. 

Growing up I had these caricature images of gay people ingrained into my mind; I grew up evangelical, but not in the fundamental sense, and no one really talked about homosexuality, except for all those doom-&-gloom type people whom no one in my circles cared about anyways. Nevertheless, I somehow perceived them to be different from me (a straight person). Flash forward to high school, and I start getting to know some people who are gay; and then a good friend of mine comes out and tells me he's bisexual. This came as a surprise because, well, these people weren't any different than me. I honestly find it so ridiculous that straight people, especially straight Christians, will define a gay person by his (or her) sexual orientation, while defining themselves not by virtue of their orientation but by other socioeconomic and existential titles. The whole idea of boiling someone's identity and worth down to sexual orientation smacks of prejudice and stupidity. And this secular idea that gay people just run around and have sex with whoever they can like wild animals in heat? Okay, most don't do that, and besides, when it comes to promiscuity, heterosexuals run the board. Just go to any bar downtown and see a fully straight girl spreading her legs to every conceivable cock. Apparently this is okay because she's straight, but if you're doing this and gay, it's somehow 10x worse? I just don't get it.

Somewhere just legalized gay marriage. New York, maybe? I really don't know because I really don't care. I have no opinion on the matter, I really don't. If I had to choose, I'd say let them get married, because this is America and it's not a Christian nation but a democratic one, and if the people vote to legalize gay marriage, then do it. Please don't interpret this post as evidence that I actually care about whether or not people are gay, nor attempt to discuss it with me further. When it comes to the people I love, care about, and cherish, the last thing I'm taking into consideration is the person's sexual orientation. Besides, who'd choose being friends with a rigid fundamentalist spouting condemnation like a poodle in heat over against being friends with a normal person who actually loves other people? I support gay rights because I support peoples' rights, but I'm not going to define a person by their orientation. kthanxbai

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...