Saturday, August 06, 2011

an INFP koala (V)

"And though we’re not detail-oriented details, when it comes to those things we’re passionate about, we’re intricately detailed, covering every possible nook and cranny in our attention to detail, as we strive with determination and vigor to reach our goal. This attention to detail doesn’t spill out into the mundane details of life maintenance; we’re literally unaware of such things. It’s not uncommon to go months without noticing a stain on the carpet, but we’ll carefully and meticulously brush a speck of dust off our current project."

To be honest, I often feel out-of-place working jobs where details are key. Thankfully there aren’t too many details to keep track of at Tazza Mia, so I’ve been doing a pretty decent job. But if I were to find myself in a job where, so-to-speak, “the devil’s in the details,” I’d fail miserably. Give me details and I’ll be confused; give me abstract theories, and I’ll excel. If I care about something—truly, deeply care—then I’ll be a detail Nazi. When it comes to books I’m working on, or back when I was in ministry sermons I was writing, details were key. Cleanliness isn’t something I’m too good at; just as Mandy. I’m getting much, much better since 2009, when it really hit the fan, but I still miss things at times. Jelly on the wall, spaghetti on the ceiling, forgetting where I put stuff all the time. My brain isn’t hard-wired to think about these things, but through positive and negative reinforcement, and akin to Pavlov’s Dog, I’m coming around. To close off this little segment into which I put little heart, here’s another excerpt which hits the nail on the head:

"What we lose in social finesse, we make up with creative articulation. Despite being awkward and uncomfortable at verbally expressing ourselves, we have this innate ability to define and express what we’re feeling on paper, and thus the majority of INFPs are talented writers."

Creative articulation? Check.
Being awkward and uncomfortable at verbally expressing myself? Check.
Talented writer? Check.

Be as skeptical as you want about “personality profiles,” but mine describes me down to a “T”. INFP all the way! Google search personality profiles and find your own, then google search your personality and find all sorts of information on it. Very enlightening. It’s like someone saying, “Hey, this is how you are, even though you don’t know it,” and though you disagree, you come around, saying, “Oh, yeah, I guess you’re right. I never realized I was like that!” Cool stuff.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...