Tuesday, November 20, 2012

from The Anchor

The internet's back up and running!
The Anchor went wire-less (and not in the good way) for a solid week.
But not it's alive and kicking.

There's a girl who comes here a lot, her name's Ana, she introduced herself to me some time ago. She asked what I did when I came here, and I told her I read, I write, I research. She said she's writing a novel. I didn't tell her that I'd written several, some of which sold very well. I don't really wear that on my sleeve, and I don't go around telling people about my accomplishments in that arena. Most people who know me have no idea that I've written zombie novels, or any sort of fiction. And I prefer it that way. Ana read me the first couple paragraphs of her book: she's a damned good writer, and if she keeps the pace up, it'll be a damned good read.

My "Anchor Studies" centered on the African chattel slavery in colonial America.
It's fucked up. Proper fucked up.

I saw the movie "Lincoln," by Steven Spielberg. It was damned good, albeit a bit misleading. Of course there will always be a slant when it comes to the study of history, and none more-so than with the study of the Emancipation Proclamation and the subsequent 13th constitutional amendment. Lincoln's acts to destroy slavery can be read in a variety of lights: some historians believe that his underlying motivation was political rather than moral in nature, that in the midst of Civil War he wished to bring European support to the Union rather than to the slave-holding South. Spielberg's movie seemed to take the route that the legislation was born out of Lincoln's conscience and desire to see no man enslaved. As with history in general, interpretation is key. What's interesting (and certainly not in Spielberg's movie) was Lincoln's support of a bill years prior to the Emancipation Proclamation that would make outlawing slavery constitutionally illegal. Interesting, is it not?

Tomorrow is my last day of work before Thanksgiving.
600 Vine will be shutting down for Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

If tomorrow goes like last year, work will be excruciatingly slow. To remedy this, we managers have decided to get a couple growlers and to treat ourselves and our employees to more than a few drinks. Drinking on the job is definitely a perk at T.M. Tiffany is even having her husband drop her off so she doesn't have to worry about driving home inebriated. 

Tomorrow night, Mom, Dad, Ams and I are having a "private family" Thanksgiving.
Thursday night is Thanksgiving with Dad's side of the family in New Carlisle.
And Friday night is Thanksgiving with Mom's side in Dayton.

Three consecutive gut-busting dinners.
"I'll be so bloated this weekend," I told Tiffany.
I've gained more than a few pounds. Time to curb that.
It's 6:50 and I'm going home.
Good night.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...