Thursday, November 01, 2012

a new month dawns

"You know what's crazy?" Tiffany said. "Thanksgiving is only three weeks away."
Yeah. That's pretty crazy.

Hurricane Sandy's beaten the East Coast to death. I looked at pictures of the destruction today. It's unimaginable. New York City thought itself immune to these weather freak-shows, but the drowning of Manhattan seems to have put an end to such thinking. With the storm over, and the cold seeping in, Romney and Obama have resumed their antics, going at it with renewed vigor. Election Day is less than a week away. 

Today I wondered what it'd be like if there were another American Civil War.
Where would the new battles be fought? How would they be fought?
It's an interesting story idea. Not one I wish to write.
But I damned well hope someone will. 

Life has been complicated as of late. There are lots of things to report, but I'm so tentative to do so. I used to be public about everything on this blog, but that's changing. Even the weekly recaps leave a lot out. Some things are just better kept private, or at least concealed only to those directly involved. All this to say I find myself conflicted as to what to do in at least one more area of life (not knowing what to do seems to be a recurrent theme in this koala life of mine). I'm praying for wisdom and trying not to let clouded thinking affect my judgments.

Lately I've been getting lost in history. When I was in high school I owned so many history books, but I got rid of them at 1/2 Price because I believed that to be a good Christian I could only read theology. Such legalistic thinking has been, and may continue to be, the Death of Me. My foolish antics thus deprived myself of a vast library that I wish I could recollect. But I've got more books on those subjects, different ones I haven't yet read, and I've been slowly plowing through them. I've been studying, as of late, the French and Indian War. It's fascinating, it really is, part of the first truly world war (and launched largely by Washington's own misfortunes). It's nice to be getting back into history, the stories, the events, the way history echoes into the current day. Everything can be relevant, in some way, shape, or form; and discovering the relevant of cryptic, half-buried events only makes the studying that more exciting. 

Yes, I just called studying exciting.
I miss school, and hope to remedy that soon.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...