Sunday, November 04, 2012

the 71st week

Clover, the Loth House's new addition
Monday. James & I opened, and after work I went to The Anchor to do some reading before gathering back at the house for the usual Monday Night shenanigans. We watched The Walking Dead, this episode focusing on Michonne, Andrea, and the reemergence of Merle and the introduction to The Governor. I have a feeling the two groups will meet soon, and it won't be the sort of meeting you like. John, Brandy & Blayne headed out, and the rest of us cooped up in Blake's room and watched the "horror" movie Wrong Turn. You know, 'cause Halloween's Wednesday. Hurricane Sandy's bearing down on the east coast at the moment. Manhattan's cut off and much of downtown New York City is flooded. Mass exoduses inland. It's crazy.

Tuesday. The temperature plummeted overnight and I found my car caked with ice come morning. Gah, I hope this winter isn't brutal. Another winter like the last one, which felt like a harsh autumn most of the time, wouldn't be bad. I worked 6:30-2:30 and went to The Anchor. Fusian Sushi finally opened next door to T.M., and I treated myself to an eel roll while watching "30 Rock." Mo came over for a while. She did homework and I watched a documentary on prehistoric reptiles predating the dinosaurs.  The night was so cold and rainy, I cranked up my space heater and put on pajamas by 8:00 and spent the rest of the evening indoors. 

Halloween. I didn't go in until 11:00, to do inventory with Brandon after the close, and so I slept in and then went to The Anchor to read about the various British campaigns of 1755 in the as-yet-undeclared French & American War. I dressed up as a Starbucks employee for work--wearing the required shirt and pants, though not shoes (because my only black shoes have holes in them), and I donned the classic green apron. My apron is with Carly or Jessica, or was close to a year ago; so Tiffany brought her husband's old apron for me to wear. There's a pic of it posted on Halloween. Brandon & I stayed late to do some detail cleaning, and then I picked up some Chipotle--two dollar burritos if you were in costume!--and made the cold, wet, dark drive home to find the house empty: Blakey at work and Andy had apparently spent the day moving his stuff out. Damn. The Claypole House withers, and I'll be there in its last days. We're going to have one more big-ass party before we move out. We have to, it'd be improper not to have one. I wanted to spend the evening watching "30 Rock," but our internet went out again (it's a recurring, and frustrating, theme, the kind of frustration that makes you curse). Ams came over after work, and we huddled in my room and talked for a while.

Thursday. I worked 7:30-3:00 doing F.P. Our salad bar cooler was tripped last night so I had to recreate the salad bar from scratch. Add onto this the food order not arriving until 10:30 and the usual craziness, and it was a frustrating day. I love being expected to both set up a salad bar in its entirety and run a shift, all while being short-staffed and facing obstacle after obstacle. It gets frustrating, indeed, but a bright spot to the day: last month's sales were the best in Tazza Mia history, all thanks to the fantastic team we've got at 600. After work I went to The Anchor and read up on the French & Indian War, and then I grabbed Wendy's for dinner and hiked over to the Loth House for an evening of video games and grilled chicken with John, Brandy, and Amos.

Friday. Sarah and I opened together, and Jake was sick so we were down a person, lunch was unusually busy, and I was so ready to get out, even if it was an hour later than usual. I forewent going to The Anchor to move all my stuff from upstairs into the "A Room" (first Amos had it, then Jessie had it for a bit, and then Amos had it again before giving it up to Ams who gave it up to Andy. And now I, Anthony, am in it). After a fiasco with the bed-frame (it's European, that's why I had trouble with it) and a solid hour or two I had my room essentially put together. Blake and I met up with Mo at The Anchor, and then we all headed back to the house to find Isaac half-drunk on the front porch. We let him in and an evening of vodka shots, kraken rum, and witches' brew spiced wine. Cook it in a cauldron and it's that much better. We watched Youtube videos about baby sloths and learned the gangnam style dance, which somehow led to me waddling around like a penguin with my eyes rolled up into the back of my head so that I looked possessed.

Saturday. Gas station coffee in the dreary early morning took the edge off from last night's antics, and Amos and I dined at Dusmesh and then returned to his place to play some MW3 and hang out with John. I spent the afternoon cleaning around the house and putting some finishing touches on the room. Blake and I went to The Anchor for a hot minute, and then Ams came over to the house and we watched "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter." Mo and I went over to Brandon's loft on Walnut for an evening of Jameson Irish whiskey, la Harmonia hermosa, and some of Brandon's AMAZING "grandma-recipe" apple dumplings. Seriously: OMG.

Sunday. McDonald's for breakfast and a subsequent nap were to be had before Ams came over. We hung out for a good while, just catching up and watching Youtube videos. I went to The Anchor to do some reading, and then I went to the Loth House for an evening of Call of Duty, football, and Magic Hat beers. They got a new dog, Clover, a pit bull and boxer mutt, whose ears were cut off early to make her look menacing. End result: she looks damned cute. It's close to 11:30 now. I've showered, had my night cap cigarette, and I'm perched up in bed with the space heater going and a cup of chamomile tea bedside. I'm thinking next week will be good: the Damien Jurado show Thursday and (hopefully) the movie Lincoln sometime this weekend. 

Good night, World.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...