Thursday, July 11, 2013

on small group/house church

It’s strange: although Carly, Jessica and I were only close for a handful of months, I think of them both and miss all those moments we had together. It’s sad that our friendships ended, and I’m not mad about that or anything. Life pulls people in different directions, and it’s an unfortunate reality that even good friendships can be brought to a screeching halt by life’s shifting circumstances. I really do believe that Carly, Jessica and I were close, and the fact that the friendships no longer exist doesn’t mean that we were any less closer than we were. As much as I’d like to think that true, genuine friendships last forever, that’s not the case, nor does it need be. A gift is no less a gift because it’s temporary. Carly, Jessica and I had great friendships, but it was only for a season. That’s how life is: things come and go in seasons, and most things, especially the most beautiful ones, are only temporary. What’s wonderful to me is how God brings different people into our lives for seasons, friends to comfort us and help us along our journey, friends whom we can support and help on their journey. We may share our journeys for only a time, but the journey is still shared and no less real when our journeys meet a fork in the road. Sure, sometimes the parting of paths is difficult to bear, but often worth it for the journey, albeit temporary, that was shared.

Gifts anchored in time are no less gifts, and looking over my life, I’m seeing that God has always brought quality people and friendships into my life. When I moved to Dayton, was it blind luck that I got a job at the one Starbucks in America where ninety percent of the staff was Christian? Was it blind luck that I developed deep and sustaining friendships during that time, friendships I’ll always remember despite their anchorage in the past? And is it blind luck that when I moved down to Cincinnati, I lived and worked with Christians? Is it blind luck that Tibbles, and then Eric, were hired onto 600? And is it blind luck that they took the initiative and started an intimate, community-focused house church when that’s what I wanted and needed so badly? I’m quite cynical, as a rule, but I can’t help but see God’s hand in it all, that he’s watching over me. There was a time when I had no friends, and I prayed that God would bring me good and true friends. Ever since, my life has been marked by amazing friendships wherever I am, and God continually brings quality people into my life, and has even let me live with those I can call close as brothers.


RANDOM TWIST IN THOUGHT! (common to those who know me) Regarding house church, I don’t feel it’s the best replacement for an actual church. We call it “house church,” but basically it’s turned into Hang Out Time. Which is awesome, don’t get me wrong, one of my favorite times of the week. There’s absolutely nothing to frown upon when it comes to spending time with people you love. It’s just that I’m “old school” and think that if something qualifies as a “church gathering,” it should involve things like worship, reading and studying the scriptures, learning and praying together. Yes, I know that the most important thing in our churches is that we love one another and share our lives with one another; but as much as that’s pretty damned important, I’m still of the persuasion that social clubs aren’t the same thing as coming together to learn, pray, worship, and to strengthen and build up one another. All that said, I’ve been going to U.C.C. more regularly, and I’ve really been enjoying it. I’m sort of going to U.C.C. on Sundays and focusing on community with those involved in the house church. Apex in Centerville works that way. And though it’s not quite my ideal, it’s less intimidating that jumping into a new church full of strangers and really “getting involved,” and it’s a good first step. I’m learning that a good amount of pragmatism is involved when it comes to things of faith. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...