Monday, July 22, 2013

the 32nd week

Monday. DeJuan and I opened together, a slow morning. Isaac found bugs in our blue sofa, so Blake and I wrapped it up and threw it on the curb. "The end of an era," Isaac lamented. Hopefully the end of those pesky bugs, too! I fixed a double decker cheeseburger with two fried eggs for dinner and spent the evening at the Loth House hanging out with Amos, Blake and Traci and watching Cops: Portland.

Tuesday. DeJuan & I opened, another slow day. Sales tend to plummet come summertime, but we sell a TON of iced coffee. I went to The Anchor after work to do some writing before meeting up with Isaac, his brother John, and Amos at Rock Bottom on Fountain Square. Summer honey ales and a roasted vegetable pizza. We continued the festivities up the street at Amos' and partied with John & Brandy. 

Wednesday. Mom, Dad, Ams and I met up at Longhorn Steakhouse on I75 in honor of Mom's late birthday. She demanded I get a full rack of smoked ribs, and I happily obliged. At one point during the dinner I was trying to convince the waitress I'm a minor, Dad was pretending to cut himself imitating Mom's withdrawal from the FB game "Candy Crush," and Mom was getting excited about talking about sex. There's no doubt about it: I love my weird, quirky family.

Thursday. Isaac and I carpooled into work since we both opened. I picked up Fusian for dinner: yellowtail roll. I spent my evening at the Hilltop hanging out with Eric & Tiffany, Andy, and Karen. Tiffany had a rough meeting with Bob: bakery's losing money and her hours have been slashed to five a week. "Looks like I may be leaving Tazza Mia sooner rather than later," she groaned.

Friday. I showed up to work an hour early on accident, so I went across the street and relaxed with coffee and a bagel at Panera. After work Dad picked me up from my apartment, and we dropped off Mom and Sky in Lexington and then headed down into Red River Gorge. We're crashing in an air conditioned hostel with nice beds. And we're crashing a rock climbing party hosted by two cute UK girls. Dad and I got dinner at a Christian-themed diner a town over. It was called Manna's, and they had the BEST onion rings I've ever had. Back at the quiet lodge, I went out to Sunset Rock, a gargantuan boulder rising hundreds of feet above the gorge overlooking the craggy, cliff-faced and tree-studded hills all around. I watched the sunset and read my Bible. Oh: I forgot my phone, so it seems I'll be out-of-touch for a while. I don't mind.

Saturday. Breakfast was bacon and eggs, and then Dad and I took a 5-mile hike into the gorge and out again. There was a reason they dubbed the trail "The Rough Trail." We munched on sandwiches in the shade and then did a zipline adventure through the hills (with free Ale-8 afterwards!). Dinner was at The Rock House, where they had lilies in Ale-8 bottles as vases, but not until after we did a short hike to a rock bridge waterfall. After three beers and a burger topped with bacon and an egg, Dad and I retired to the lodge and I read up on colonial American history at the firepit.

Sunday. Dad and I fixed bacon and toast for breakfast as hammering rains fell all around. The weather cleared and we hiked on a trail close to Natural Bridge. Whittleton Arch trail or something like that. The trail followed a meandering stream through gullies and beaver dams, through cliffs and massive rock formations. Gnats clawed at us. The beauty reminded me of the Adirondacks, and I pretended I was a colonial ranger heading north towards Ticonderoga, Iroquois hidden in the shadows of the trees. Dad and I nabbed Miguel's Pizza for lunch (a tradition) and then we headed north. Back home I spent the evening sore but chilled out, hanging out with Ams and Isaac, Andy and Amos, and Blake. I took a late-night drive into Kentucky, admiring an approaching storm, lightning crisscrossing in the sky. But then came the relentless sheets of rain, my car all but locked up, and it wasn't so fun anymore.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...