Sunday, November 24, 2013

11.24.13

Yesterday I took a long and winding walk through my new neighborhood, admiring the old, stately homes, the towering trees breaking in oranges, reds, and yellows, and I felt truly thankful for the place I’ve found. The landlord told me they passed over several applicants before settling on me. For once I stood high above the crowd! (And, no, that’s not a short joke) Wallace Woods really is a beautiful place to live, and when I’ve told people that’s the neighborhood I’m in, they all tell me the same things: it’s a great, quiet, safe, and gorgeous place to be. I’ve met my neighbors, and they seem really cool; and I already know Sarah, who’s going to be living a few houses down from me.  Norwood was nice, but I’m looking forward to a change-of-pace, and I’m definitely looking forward to having my own place for the first time. I haven’t really had time to just hang out inside and enjoy the place, since I’ve been working what feels like non-stop. It’s a good thing, though. 

My time with Walk of Joy has been going really well. I’m really liking the guys I’m working with, and Sarah’s told me she’s glad to have someone on the team who is patient and compassionate enough to work with the clients whom most providers avoid. She knew my personality would be an invaluable asset in this job, and so far she’s been spot-on. I’ve been accumulating more hours (I’m working around 50-60 hours a week between both Walk of Joy and Tazza Mia), and I’m so thankful to finally be involved in some sort of ministry. Walk of Joy really is a ministry, and not just because it’s a “Christian nonprofit.” The people we work with are those marginalized by society, and though the stigma against them has waned, it certainly hasn’t disappeared. Christians are called to break bread and love those shunned and disenfranchised by society, and this is part of that.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...