Saturday, February 01, 2014

on the resurrection of the son of god

Now I would remind you, brothers, of the good news that I proclaimed to you, which you in turn received, in which also you stand, through which also you are being saved, if you hold firmly to the message that I proclaimed to you—unless you have come to believe in vain. For I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures, and that he was buried, and that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me. 
     (1 Corinthians 15.1-8)

The death and bodily resurrection of Jesus isn't just a sufficient explanation for the empty tomb, Jesus’ post-death bodily appearances, and the explosive rise of early Christianity. It isn’t just a sufficient explanation, it is a necessary explanation. All other explanations seeking to account for the empty tomb, the multiple appearances of Jesus, and the rise of early Christianity fail historically. The data we have at our disposal supports the resurrection no less than relevant data supports Caesar’s crossing of the Rubicon or the fall of Jerusalem in A.D. 70. The resurrection isn’t a “conclusion based on faith”. It is a scientific conclusion, for scientific conclusions derive not merely by deduction from hard data but by inference to the best explanation for the gathered data. The conclusion that (a) Jesus died and that, subsequently, (b) Jesus was bodily raised from the grave after dying is the best explanation of the relevant data. It makes sense of the data in a simplistic, coherent manner and is historically highly probable. The burden of proof lies not on those vouching for the bodily resurrection of Jesus but on those denying it, since belief in the bodily resurrection makes the most historical sense. If the resurrection is so historically ridiculous, as many say, then why has no one come up with any better explanation of the data, despite unending attempts to do so? 

* * *
  


In Christ alone, my hope is found.
He is my light, my strength, my song.

This cornerstone, this solid ground.
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease.

My comforter, my all-in-all.
Here in the love of Christ I stand.

There in the ground His body lay,
Light of the World by darkness slain.
Then bursting forth in glorious day,
Up from the grave He rose again.

And as he stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine,
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death.
This is the power of Christ in me.

From life's first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands my destiny.

No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand.
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...