Thursday, September 01, 2005

College is a lot of fun and it gets better and better. I am really excited to be on my way to becoming a youth minister, and I'm excited about serving God somewhere by taking His message to kids who desperately want--and need--to hear it. Yet in all the excitement and enjoyment of college, through all the papers and writing assignments and chapters I am forced to read in two-hour blocks, through the trips to the coffee shops and making new friends left and right, there's still time to miss what--and who--you've left behind.

I am beginning to miss my friends who I won't see for quite a long time, friends who have journeyed out-of-state or up-north in their "academic pursuits." Angie, Shelby, Kristen, Dylan and Tyler; I won't see most of them for several months, though I occasionally talk to them online. Dylan and I have still been keeping a pretty tight friendship. I don't miss my friends back home so much (because I see them every weekend anyways), but I am missing my parents. Not missing them breathing down my neck about stuff, but missing their company. I really love them. And I know you're going to read this, Mother, so I hope you smile :). You'll probably end up calling sometime today, anyways.

But who do I miss most? Amazingly, Doogie. I miss his furry little touch, the way those depressed eyes search my soul, the charming rhythms of his ghostly pant, the way my heart flutters when he lies beside me in my bed at night.

That's just wrong.

No, who I miss the most is my little sister. Some people would think that's crazy. Aren't we supposed to be at odds with our siblings? While that may be the case for some people, I find myself blessed with a crazy-cool little sister whom I admire so very much. She has been my best friend for an eternity; when it might take me some nerve to talk to even a close friend about something, I can just bare my soul to her and know she won't color up her words. If I'm an idiot, she'll make it known. If I'm pathetic, she won't hold back. And she does so with hugs and excitement written all over her face.

Saturday we went out to eat and saw a movie together. It was such a fun time, funner than hanging out with my friends is a lot of the time. When she calls me from home to talk about big things going on, I find smiles dancing all over my face. Two Mondays ago I was excited to hear how her first day of school went and I prayed so much that it would go well (she tells me this is her best year so far! YES!).

I am so thankful God has put her in my life; I enjoy throwing my feeble wisdom at her, but in all of that what I enjoy most is just spending time with her. I can vividly remember the night I tucked her in bed and told her a story. It was the dumbest and most pathetic time ever but it rocked. I think I annoyed her but she was laughing so hard I don't really know. So I'm excited about seeing her on Sunday, and happy we keep up correspondances through myspace and email.

Little sister, I love you more than you know!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anth,

Make an extra effort to stay in touch with your friends from Springboro - they can help keep you grounded.

You should have seen the excitement in my eyes as I began reading your comments about Doogie - I was dreaming about the prospect of sending him off to stay with you. Oh well.

Amanda misses you too, especially because you are such a good listener. You also provided a buffer between me and her!

love,
dad

Rochelle said...

My sister is my best friend so I know where you're coming from You are blessed to feel like that because unfortunately there are so many out there who feel the opposite about their brothers and sisters I hope you always have that special bond with Amanda
I know Zach misses Kristen but he would never admit it :)

Dylan said...

Hey Anth,

I am really glad we still are close...Thanks for all of your good advice you give to me. Things have been going alot better lately, I've been so filled with the Holy Spirit and becoming so on fire for God already. You would be so proud of me =). I really miss you and everyone else back in springboro. Even though I don't think Tennessee is the greatest right now I know that God wants me here for a reason. I cant wait to come back and visit everyone! I hope to always be great and close friends with you Anth. -Dylan

Doug Hill said...

anthony... please! don't tell everyone about my fury little touch and the way i pant... oh wait, you dont mean me Doogie... you mean your dog... wheh! for a moment there... errr, I mean, yeah, of course you were talking about your dog. I was just pulling your chain everyone.

man, how do i delete comments? this is a nightmere... its like leaving a voice mail message for someone and rattling off something embarrassing and not knowing how to erase... oh man.

maybe i will try subliminal hyptnosis....
5, 4, 3, 2, 1.... you all will forget you read this comment. you are now a duck. quack like a duck. ok... now send me some money, large bills: $20's, $50's, 100's. you wont remember anything when you wake. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 .... wake.

Anonymous said...

Anth,

So GLAD you don't miss me "breathing down your neck about stuff". Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying college and I miss you too. I did smile by the way! Keep up all your friendships and especially the one you have with your sister!!

Love, Mom

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...