Thursday, September 22, 2005

What drives me crazy about America is its many ugly parodies of religion. I am tired of pipe bombs in abortion clinics, tired of gay-bashing festivals, tired of those people who stand on street-corners handing out tracts while condemning those locked in wicked lifestyles. How in the world can Christians who do such things keep a straight and pious face at church, when that afternoon they will proceed to hate others into Christianity, making people fear the wrath of God, and telling them they're going to Hell for the way they live? I am tired of churches where gays aren't welcome, where pregnant girls are scorned, where prayer-gossip fills the pews.

How can this be happening? When did we get the idea that serving God and spreading His Message is about putting people to shame? It amazes me that we Christians often commit such shameful and hateful atrocities in the name of Christ! These are modern-day witch-hunts, inquisitions and crusades. It amazes me--and horrifies me--that this happens, simply because it isn't Christ at all!

Christ's message is, at the core, a message of LOVE. Love not only yourself, love not only the Church, love everybody. Love terrorists, murderers, gays, prostitutes, drug dealers, loud-mouths, even fundamentalists. Love EVERYONE, no matter WHAT, regardless of who they are or what they've done.

So often this beautiful message is lost in a society that often tries to hate people to God. It has been said that Christians can be the meanest people on the planet; my hope is that these "mean" Christians will see the
real Jesus, not their pre-packaged verson, and, for lack of a better word, repent. I find it ironic that so many Christians spend time bashing gays in the name of Christ that they fail to see that Christ never mentions homosexuality, but is always enraged with religious-funded hypocrisy.

My prayer is that, despite my fermenting irritation, I will become more and more like Christ and even love those who hate others in the name of Love-incarnate.

2 comments:

Dylan said...

This is right on point anthony. I cant explain how much I agree, and how much I am disgusted by these so called "christians". This is the #1 reason why atheists are who they are.

Unknown said...

Thats totally correct. I feel convicted right now, because alot of the time i'm that kind of person when I stand back and look at myself. But i'm going to start really showing others what Christs love is all about. Thats what this world needs, not more people to condemn them.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...