Sunday, October 28, 2007

is God disappointed with us?

As I was lying in bed the other night, I contemplated: “Is God disappointed in me?” All of us sin, and I was wondering if God is disappointed in us when we sin. I thought to myself, “What is disappointment?” Disappointment, I believe, is what one feels when another person does not live up to their expectations. When we are disappointed with God, it is because God does not live up to our expectations. When God is disappointed in us, it’s because we haven’t lived up to His expectations for our lives. “Is God disappointed with us when we sin?” I think the answer is, simply: “No.” God isn’t an idiot. He knows that we live in a world where we still wage war with our sinful desires; we are caught in a plane where heaven intersects the sinful world in which we live, and Christians live right at that intersection. We are torn between following God and obeying Him and between following our own wishes and desires and fulfilling our own selfish wants. God knows that we exist in such a state, and He doesn’t expect us to always choose the path that is in line with what He wants. He wishes we would always choose such a path, but He knows we won’t. Like I said, He isn’t an idiot. He knows we sin. He knows we sin all the time, every day, in ways we recognize and in ways we do not. We live lives where we want to God’s will, but we also want to do our own will. God knows we are made of dirt, and though He would like it if we were totally abandoned to Him and never sinned, He knows that’s not going to happen—at least not until we dwell with Him in the new creation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hah, I typed in 'anthony barnhart' on google to see if any of your writing would turn up.. it did along with your blog. anyways, I just wrote a little sentence a couple of days ago and it went like this.. "it seems when some form of the words dissapointment and expect are used, they are often in the same sentence." I sort of let out a ha when I read this first part of this post. Hope all is well.

-pat d

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...