Saturday, May 23, 2009

i wish i had something exciting to write home about...

This week has flown by. I’m unable to update everyday, because we don’t have internet at Charlene (“Charlene” is the name of our house, so christened by the former tenants). I’m at my parents’ house in Dayton, and they have wireless, so the opportunity to post again has presented itself. Tomorrow I am preaching for the last time at Northern Hills Christian Church, and the sermon is about the indwelling power of Sin in the unbeliever and how Christ dismantles it in the believer via redemption found in the cross. I have felt iffy about every sermon I’ve preached at this church (except for the first), but I’m feeling really good about this one. The subject of sin is one not often covered in churches, and it is often (in my humble opinion) misunderstood. Also, this sermon could be somewhat controversial, and seeing as I like to be controversial, I am unashamedly excited.

 

Life in Charlene has been good. I didn’t work at all this week (my job doesn’t start until Thursday), so I’ve spent my days hanging out with good friends (Jessie, Sarah, Monica, etc.) and watching movies (too many to count; I rented numerous movies from Blockbuster during a period of four days). Not working has its downsides, though; the main one is boredom. At times boredom has consumed me. On top of this, it is blazingly hot outside (July-August temperatures), and Charlene turns into a heat-trap. In all honesty (and forgive the graphic details), I have been sleeping naked and without covers in order to keep somewhat cool. Mom bought me a stand-up fan today, though, so I should be in good shape. I’m going to put it right beside my bed.

 

Sarah has been pressing me to get into a work-out routine with her so we both can get in shape. Her persistence—so demanding!—has forced me to succumb. We are starting our work-outs and diets this week. I’m going to die for the first couple weeks. It’ll be hard keeping up with her, because she’s in such better shape than I am. She wanted to make it a contest to see who could lose weight the fastest, but I declined, because it’s unfair: women lose weight slower than men, so I would have the advantage. I’m hoping to lose thirty pounds this summer. That’s only ten pounds per month; that should be pretty easy, and that would put me at 160 pounds.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...