Monday, May 11, 2009

the lehman house: the first week

She's so damned beautiful. Even when she covers her face.
Monday. Class at 8:00, back to the house for toast and eggs, and then back to campus to work 9:45-1:00 with Nate & Caleb. Caleb & Bethany have a "thing" going on. I went back to the house and had rice and chicken for lunch. I had class from 3:20 to 6:00 (Gospel of Mark) and then headed home for the evening. Bethany and Melissa C. came over to do homework, Sarah and I went to Kroger for ice cream, and Ams' friend Charles came by. Things with Mandy K. have been... different. We've barely talked since Thursday. I don't like it.

Tuesday. Mandy doesn't like me, she's moving away in two weeks, maybe I'm just pushing her away to ease the hurt. I woke around 10:30 and ran off to Geology. I chatted with Jobst  and Mandy K. came over to do homework. It was good. She likes the house. We're gonna watch "Happy Feet" before she leaves. I fixed a hamburger for dinner and went to the Hilltop to visit Sarah G. (not the housemate). I returned home and Ams, Justin, Jessie and I did homework and watched "Sin City."

Wednesday. I woke at 7:30, had a cigarette and coffee, and went to Genesis 1-11. I had lunch at home and then worked until 1:00 with, yet again, Nate & Caleb. I napped back home until 5:30 when Sarah returned from spending the night at Keith's. We cleaned the kitchen and then she went up to Wilmington to watch her grandpa through the weekend. Bethany & Caleb came over, and we played XBox: Ghost Recon. Jobst swung by. Everyone left by 8:00, and I went by the Hilltop to visit Jessie & Sarah G. When I got back, Mykaela was watching a movie with Ams, and I got to meet her mom.

Thursday. I spent the morning and afternoon in the library working on my Genesis 1-11 term papers. Mandy K. came and did homework with me. Dad came by the house after Geology, sawed down the bed in Sarah's room. When Dad left I went to the Hilltop to visit Isaac and Jessie, and Kevin came over later. I went out onto the back deck to smoke. At the house next to us, a young couple was holding hands and surveying their new house in joy. I watched and I smoked and I thought. Had I not been a lesser man, had I been a man of God, then Courtney and I would be doing the same thing at this house. I am a sad creature filled with regret, all sorts of regret. REGRET: it's the staple of my existence.

Friday. Jessie and I went to The Anchor when we were done with classes. She played five songs on the jukebox. She came over and we watched an episode of The Office and then I went to Newport to buy some bourbon. Aunt Teri, Grandma, and Jesse came by to drop off some sofas. I went to the Hilltop to visit Jessie, ran to Kroger for steak dinner, and Jessie came over after work, around midnight. We went to Isaac's apartment for a bit, and she tried hookah for the first time. We sat and talked for two hours before bed. 

Saturday. Jessie fell asleep in my bed last night and was gone when I woke up. Some Jehovah's Witnesses stopped by. I watched TV till about 5:00 and then went home. I went to Starbucks and worked on my sermon for tomorrow. 

Sunday. I preached on Sacrifice at Kyle's church. It went really well. Back in Cincinnati, I spent the day hanging out with Sarah and her mom (back from Wilmington). We watched "War of the Worlds" and then I went to work. When I got back, Sarah and I had steak for dinner and watched "The Office." 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...