Monday, October 12, 2009

the lehman house [23]

Joseph-Beth: such an amazing bookstore!

Monday. It’s been three years since I dated Julie M. Wow. I spent the day at work and in class, and when I got home I got internet working on my laptop. I spent 4-6 hours last night trying to get it to work, and all I had to do was press a button. FML. Rob and Mandy came over, and Mandy cooked us a kickass dinner: pasta with chicken. They did laundry and then headed home. Chris & Tiz came over. Sarah told me, “I’ve been so tempted to return to Keith, but I’m hoping a better guy is out there.” Our pumpkin has caved in, is infested with yellow jackets. I tried to burn them out with Bacardi 151, and one stung me. But I killed it. So I won.

Tuesday. I skipped out on classes today and spent the day writing. Ams worked until 9:30. Sarah and I browsed online videos. She’s opened up more about her struggles as a single girl. “I want so much more, I want to love and be loved, but I’m afraid I’ll never experience it.” Poor girl. I can relate.

Wednesday. I worked 9:30-1:00 with Nate and Rob and spent the afternoon working on Greek. Jobst came over for a little bit. Sarah was in a bad mood all night.

Thursday. First day of Fall Break. It rained all day, and I joined Julie B. and some of her friends, and we went to an apple orchard and then to Bethany’s house. Her mom made cookies and we ate apples from the orchard. Julie B. broke down into tears while we were driving, mourning a failed romance with a guy named Paul. She had a diabetic attack in the car and nearly died. Good times. At the house, Sarah was really sad and lonely, so I fixed us dinner and we watched “Nightmare on Elm Street.” A massive storm rolled through, and I fell asleep amidst lightning and rolling thunder and rain hammering on the windowpanes.

Friday. Dylan came over, and we spent the day hanging around the house with Sarah, Jessie, and Ams. Dylan got pretty drunk, and he and Jessie had some really good talks, and Sarah threw in, too.

Saturday. Dylan and I ate lunch at the ghetto McDonald’s, then went to Newport and saw the movie “The Invention of Lying.” We smoked on the balcony overlooking the plaza and watched a man juggling knives. We went to Hyde Park and hit up the Starbucks in Rookwood Commons, then browsed Joseph-Beth. I fantasized about Alaska while reading a book on the Inside Passage. There was a display of Twilight books and knock-offs, and I felt envious of Stephanie Myers. I want to be as famous as her, and I want my books to sell like wildfire. Dylan left, and I cleaned the house and when Sarah got home, we went to Newport and saw the movie “Zombieland.” It was good, but I fancy “realistic” zombie flicks a bit more. We ran by the Marathon on 8th Street, hit up McDonald’s, and rounded out the night watching TV.

Sunday. Sarah was passed out on the sofa when I woke up. She groaned and said Hi as I went out onto the porch for my morning cigarettes. We read through some of my old journals, from when I liked her the first time, and I fought the urge to confess some things haven’t changed. It was fun to relive those 2007 memories, as awful a time it may have been. Jobst came over, and we smoked pipes on the front porch and went to Joseph-Beth at Rookwood Commons and hit up the Starbucks. I ferried him back to his apartment and hurried off to work 5:45-9:00 with Sarah and Kristen S. Jessie came over for a bit, and I fixed tea and she wrote me a message in my journal:


Anthony Barnhart is my best friend and I love him dearly. Not sure what I’d do without him in my life. He always listens to me and tries to have compassion while trying to cheer me up. Jesus has blessed me with him and I hope we’re friends forever no matter the distance, how busy we are, or how long it’s been since we last talked. Love you so much! – Jessie

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...