Sunday, October 11, 2009

an enjoyable weekend

On Friday my friend sixth fifth grade, good ol’ Dylan, came down to Cincinnati to visit me. We spent the evening watching television and sitting on the front porch in the cool autumn breeze chatting. I wanted to take him to a haunted graveyard in northern Kentucky, but he shivered at the idea (maybe from the cold, maybe from the fear, who knows?). So we didn’t go. He spent the night, and on Saturday we grabbed lunch before going to Newport on the Levee and watching “The Invention of Lying.” A very good movie. We walked around Newport for a bit, then hit up the Starbucks at Rookwood Commons and browsed the Joseph-Beth Bookstore across the street. I almost bought a map of Alaska and a book on the Interior Passage (my dream place for living), but decided in wisdom not to do so. He left, and a few minutes later Sarah returned from work, and we went back to Newport and watched “Zombieland,” then talked till late into the night before exhaustion overtook us both and we went to bed. Today Sarah is going to her mom’s house, and I’m joining my friend Jobst and we’re going to go to a bookstore and maybe a coffee shop. I work at 5:45 tonight, with Sarah Gagen, whom I really enjoy as a supervisor. Good times always.


Sarah and I considered seeing “Paranormal Activities,” but I decided I didn’t want to see it: I read a synopsis, and it is about things my mom has experienced throughout her life, and I’ve experienced some things as well, and I don’t want to relive it. Horror movies generally leave me unscathed. I watched “IT” and fell asleep halfway through. But when it’s more… realistic… and especially when it involves ghosts and demons or whatever, it really frightens me—because I’ve experienced those things firsthand and they’re absolutely terrifying.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...