Wednesday, June 19, 2013

bourbon barrels, marble slabs, and a hooter

Over the past month we've been doing renovations at work, changing the entire look and flow of the store. The transformation has been key in getting the environment focused back on our coffee. The store had a cafeteria feel that we all hated, and for years we've wanted to change the place. It's finally happened. Minimalism and Rustic fornicated and had a child, and it's what we've got going on. we've still got some more work to do with the roasting area and with the furniture (we'll be having wooden-plated tables with artwork and engravings soon enough; they're in the artist's shop and he's painstakingly taking a LONG time to get them finished). 

Customers have generally liked the new feel. Some people just hate change and make it a point to tell you how awful it is. When you explain it to them and show how the changes are actually beneficial to the customer's speed and enjoyment of the store, they just get mad when they've been proven wrong. You shrug your shoulders and laugh. The suits have the hardest time with it, being used to whitewashed walls and cubicles and fancy things, but we've gained more traffic from normal, non-pretentious folk. And I like that.


We're highlighting our coffee, and we should: it's damned good. We've stolen Starbucks customers left and right (our coffee's better and the price basically the same) and attract those who know coffee. I can't tell you how many times I've been personally told by foreigners at the hotels that they tell all their friends across the pond about us, one of the only places that do coffee right. One man remarked, "Americans are so dumb when it comes to coffee. All they want to do is burn it and then fill it with sugar and cream. You guys do it right." Some Starbucks employees came in to try our coffee and remarked, "It isn't that good." I think they either (a) don't know good coffee or (b) they were just too proud to admit it. But I don't need validation from competitors; our loyal customers (including famous people, mind you) are quite vocal in their appreciation. How many times have I been told that I've made someone the best latte or cappuccino they ever have? I give credit where credit's due: Rob who trained me and those who roast our beans. I'm just the frontline man. With all the chaos and frustrations around my work (it is, after all, my job, and all jobs come with such things), I'm reminded of why I should be proud to work at Tazza Mia, why it's a nice climax to my coffee career (and, God, I hope it doesn't go any farther...). 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...