Wednesday, January 01, 2014

2014: the first post


The first post of the new year should be filled with resolutions.
I’m not one for making resolutions, but I do have some desires for 2014.
Also, these are in no particular order.

“Resolution #1”: keep living healthier and healthier: don’t let smoking retake the prominence its had in my life, continue not eating fast food and eating fruits, vegetables, and lean meats; and keep exercising on a daily basis. I’ve decided not to try and “bulk up” (turns out it looks weird on short guys; good thing I researched it!).

“Resolution #2”: keep writing. Hot Sauce Waugh and I were talking a few days ago as we walked the quiet windswept streets of Mainstrausse, and he asked my plans for the zombie book. “Nothing,” I told him. “It was the first in a six-book series, and I’ve decided not to keep writing them.” The reasoning: believe it or not (you may want to take a deep breath), I’m just kind of bored with zombies (but still anticipating the second half of Season 5 of The Walking Dead). As far as writing goes, I want to keep plowing through my bible study/devotional of 1 Peter (it’s taking longer than I anticipated) and maybe write some historical fiction. Try my hand at it, at least.

“Resolution #3”: keep focusing on my life in Christ and making that priority over everything else. Call it what you want, but the fact is that following everything with the Wisconsinite, my spiritual life did take a certain turn. I’m still wrestling with what it all means, if it means anything at all, but I’m confident that no matter God’s hand in everything, he’s used this to sharpen me and reorient me in many ways, and for that I’m thankful. The past couple months have been marked by a progressive desire and eagerness to be conformed to the image of Christ, to experience the life of the Spirit, to knowing Christ more. The rewards of this renewed communion with God have been astounding, and I simply cannot imagine living life absent it: I’ve tasted the goodness and mercy of God, and life absent him is dark, dreary, gray and void of hope.

“Resolution #4”: READ, READ, READ. In December I read seven books, and I hope to keep up the pace. I’ve got a laundry list of books to read, and Grandma didn’t help: she got me one of the best series of narrative history out there, a series of books covering the conflicts between Native Americans and European settlers from the 15th century to the mid-1800s:


And, finally:
“Resolution #4”: keep being awesome.
This one should take care of itself.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...