Thursday, January 09, 2014

sharkhorse ramblings


It’s become uncouth in some progressive evangelical services to speak of “Quiet Times”, as if they’re something to be ashamed of, a hangover from the more conservative days of evangelicalism. I remember in college someone telling me that they didn’t have “Quiet Times” because Paul said to “pray unceasingly,” and this person thought that setting aside time each day to commune with God was simply a way of partitioning spirituality. Reflecting on that conversation, I can’t help but wonder if that was a genuine concern or simply justification for not having such times, and I’m wondering if most of those who use such lines spend any amount of time in prayer at all. If you don’t have the discipline to carve out space for prayer in the day, what’re the chances that you’ll have the discipline to pray throughout the day when immersed in the constant bombardment of distractions daily life brings? I’ve always been an advocate of “Quiet Times”, what I call “Up Times” from Colossians 3. If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. “Up Times” help reorient our thinking, bringing us out of the distractions to focus on what truly matters. These are often the most rewarding times of my day, and it’s unfortunate that so many Christians neglect the discipline of sitting down at the feet of Christ and learning with him, praying with him, being changed by him.

I should finish Jeff Shaara’s The Final Storm this weekend in Blue Ash.
Next up on the list: That Dark & Bloody River.
It’s all about the violent settling of the Ohio River Valley.
It’s geographically pertinent.

2014 is off to an awesome start. I’m hopeful, optimistic, excited. Yesterday I was driving in the car and “Say Something” came on the radio; simultaneously, hundreds of miles away in Chicago, the Wisconsinite was listening to “Let Her Go.” All I can think is, I’m glad she said something, and I’m glad I didn’t have to let her go. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...