Saturday, January 18, 2014

from blue ash (III)

Over the past week I've been studying complementarianism as seen in Ephesians 5: Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives, be subject to your husbands as you are to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife just as Christ is the head of the church, the body of which he is the Savior. Just as the church is subject to Christ, so also wives ought to be, in everything, to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, in order to make her holy by cleansing her with the washing of water by the word, so as to present the church to himself in splendor, without a spot or wrinkle or anything of the kind--yes, so that she may be holy and without blemish. In the same way, husbands should love their wives as they do their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hates his own body, but he nourishes it and tenderly cares for it, just as Christ does for the church, because we are members of his body. 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' This is a great mystery, and I am applying it to Christ and the church. Each of you, however, should love his wife as himself, and a wife should respect her husband. I'm in hearty agreement with the complementarian interpretation of that passage: it makes the most sense of the text, it's in accord with the whole of scripture, and quite frankly it's a beautiful and transcendent portrait of marriage offering hope to a broken world.

Ben just told me he's going to pounce on me and then lock me in the mounted patrol horse stable so that the horses can stampede me. All because he really likes my cooking. It doesn't make sense, that's what makes it awesome.

The Winter Tartan at Rock Bottom has run its course. It's truly tragic. It won't be around again until November, and by that time I hope to be in a different state altogether. Now they have a chocolatey moonlight porter that won a gold medal award in some contest. It's pretty great, though it's almost too dark for my fragile palate. Corey's a beer aficionado, brews his own when he can, and his always taste great. We went to Rock Bottom the other night, and he gave me the scoop on what makes a porter a porter. It was a fascinating lesson from a knowledgeable fellow.

Corey and I talked about everything with the Wisconsinite and my future plans to join her in the frigid north. He's on board, he understands what he's talking about. He and his Mandy (waaay too many Mandys in my life; or just the right amount?) had a similar long distance relationship going on, and he had a few really good pointers for me. His experiences will be helpful.

I'm really pumped about everything with Mandy. Like REALLY pumped. I'm really into her, and she's really into me, and we share the same values and motivations in life, a shared mission. I talk with her for hours on the phone, and it's marvelous. We've always been this way, of course, but this time it's different, it's on another level, and we're both really stoked about what the future holds.

It's 10:00 and Ben decided to eat a bunch of sugar and drink a cup of coffee right before bed. This will be fun.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...