Wednesday, January 08, 2014

when the river smokes


These past few days have been marked by extreme cold all throughout the United States. A “polar vortex” is what they call it, and it’s been the worst cold front since the 1990s. Cincinnati had it mildly compared to the more northern states, but we still registered around -20 with the wind chill. The subzero temperatures played havoc on my car. The shocks froze up as they always do, making driving feel more like a safari than anything else. Then my doors wouldn’t shut, and I had to have one hand on the wheel and another gripping the door and pulling it against my side as I turned, or else the door would fly open and hit cars in the other lane. Once the doors were able to shut, they weren’t able to open, so I had to crawl in and out of my car windows. Quite a sight to see. “It’s a good thing I’m so small and agile!” I told Eric. Now that the temperatures are getting warmer (read: above freezing), my car’s back in good working condition. My car, always an adventure!

The polar vortex delayed a visit by the Wisconsinite, and though I was pretty frustrated, I was at least thankful (selfishly) that it enabled me and her to talk for 2 ½ hours last night. It was a wonderful talk. It’s funny: I generally loath talking on the phone, but I’m always eager to talk with her no matter the hour. I’m like my father, generally quiet and reserved, but this woman, she opens me up.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...