Tuesday, November 11, 2014

[Veteran's Day]

the most offensive picture on the internet
One of the elders from Mayhill Church of Christ called me yesterday and informed me that I didn't get the votes I needed to be hired. He and all the elders are pretty upset about it. The situation is as follows: at the ninth hour, a local boy in the church announced that he felt called to preach. When the time to vote came, his friends voted No because they want him to have the position. Never mind the fact that (a) he doesn't even want the position, and (b) the elders have explicitly told him they won't hire him because he's a new Christian and they want someone more experienced both in the faith and in ministry. There's going to be a congregational meeting this Sunday, and the elders are going to "lay out" the situation as best they can, hoping that some of those who voted No will change their votes to Yes for me. "We really want you," the elder told me. "You're an excellent preacher, it's obvious you have a heart for God, and you're just what we're looking for." They're hoping I can get the votes I need, and so am I. I'm not holding out hope for it, though: it's hard for younger folk to put aside their pride and change their vote. 

Ashley and I have been praying that I'd get this position, and she's been an awesome support. I broke the news to her last night, and she was really sympathetic as I vented my frustrations about how I have a B.S. in ministry and can't even get a part-time preaching gig. "Church hunting always boils down to a popularity contest, and the voters are more fickle than Americans at a presidential election." I hate how I feel called to ministry, how preaching is one thing I do really well, and how I just can't seem to find a congregation that wants me. My email has been flooded with rejections from churches, and no matter how high I get up the ladder to being hired, I just seem to get shoved down. I really thought Mayhill would work out. I felt at peace about it, the elders were confident it was a sure thing, and this whole wrench thrown in the gears is rather discouraging. The extra eight hundred a month would've been nice, too; it sucks constantly living on fumes and forsaking groceries so that you can afford gas to go see the people you care about.

Maybe some people will change their minds Sunday, and I'll be hired. That would be phenomenal, though if that happens, I could be walking into a situation where a lot of the people dislike me by virtue of me not being the guy they wanted (who doesn't even want the position, mind you). These church politics are always so nauseating. It makes me wonder why I went to college for ministry in the first place! Oh, yeah, that's right, I feel called to it. But if you have to get on your knees and beg like a dog for God to throw you a bone, maybe it's not a calling after all. Maybe it's nothing short of wishful thinking. But that's just discouragement talking.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...