Monday, November 10, 2014

the 51st week

Keehner Park explorations
Monday. After coffee and scripture at The Anchor, I had a meeting at the W.O.J. HQ in Norwood. Basically I dropped all of my remote shifts. They were only a few hours each, and I actually lost money driving out to the remote sites and then driving the clients around. Now I'm just at Ridgecrest, and I'm liking it this way. Hopefully everything with Mayhill will pan out, and I'll be financially set for a little while. I'll be able to start saving again! I worked my last remote shift with the Twins in Norwood, and I was pulled over on our way to Target (I was drifting across the yellow lines). He only gave me a warning. After some time writing at The Anchor I spent the evening hanging out with Blake & Traci in Mason and seeing Ams at her apartment near Jungle Jim's.

Election Day. Chloe had the day off school, so Ashley and I took her and Zoey back to Keehner Park to explore the creek and try our hands at some new cliffs. Chloe is all about being outside and exploring, and today I taught her how to climb a tree. She'd never done it before, and she was quite ecstatic. We had lunch there at the park, and then I headed up to Blue Ash for my 2-8 PM at Ridgecrest. After work I went back by Ashley's to see her for "a little bit." She put on Sons of Anarchy and I stretched out to watch it on my side. She started scratching my head, I closed my eyes, and I fell asleep for two hours. I woke up thinking I had dozed off for a bit, and it was already 12:30 AM. And then on my drive home I got pulled over yet again. "You've got to be kidding me." He only gave me a warning: my tail lights were out.

Wednesday. I spent the morning and afternoon with Ashley and Zoey. Ashley had to run some errands in Middletown, and when we got back, she fed Zoey and put her to bed. We did our Bible study (just plowing through 2 Corinthians!), and then I worked 3-7:00 taking Jason to ballroom dancing. My evening ended watching The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in the quiet glow of oil lamps in the Hobbit Hole (appropriate, I think!).

Thursday. I took the guys downtown instead of to the farm: we walked around the streets and stopped inside Starbucks for coffee. Carly was working, and it was great talking with her. I haven't seen her in years (probably less; but it feels like years). I headed to Ashley's after work, and we hung out with her sister for a while after the girls went to bed. Ashley may be moving in with her sister; things on the Home Front have been pretty crazy lately.

FridayMy car was dead when I woke up this morning. Ashley came down to give me a jump, and she and Zoey hung out for a while. Ams came over, too, and we watched Arrested Development. Ashley and the girls came over later in the evening for a sleepover. We watched movies, cooked steak and potatoes for dinner, and hung out until the girls collapsed from exhaustion.

Saturday. I spent the morning hanging out with Ashley and the girls at the Hobbit Hole. They left, and I watched some Arrested Development before working 5P-8AM in Blue Ash. Jason watched Galaxy Quest three times, and Ben went to a Cyclone's game.

Sunday. After a quiet night in Blue Ash, I went to The Anchor for coffee and scripture before meeting up with Ashley and the girls in West Chester. We went to Christ's Church in Mason. They're kicking off their genero(city) series, and the first sermon was all about how every Christian is a missionary wherever he may find himself. A great sermon! After lunch back at Ashley's place, we took the girls to Miami Whitewater. Really trying to monopolize on the warm weather before next week's bombogenesis (yes, that's a real thing). Chloe and I explored in the woods, climbing "cliffs" and forging trails. It went well until Chloe got a cut from a briar thorn; at that point it turned into a crisis situation. We made our way out of the woods, and the four of us went to the playground. Chloe and Zoey played on the playground for about two hours, and then we walked around the lake. Zoey ran ahead and played with a fishing pole she'd found; some old guy hobbled out from the shadows screaming at her to let it go. "Jesus fucking Christ!" he shouted; and I almost shouted back, "Died for your sins!" but decided against it. We discovered a "reptile house" that also had a bunny. "Why is there a bunny in here?" Chloe asked; I replied, "Well, they have to feed the snakes somehow, don't they?" She started crying, so we left. I decided NOT to tell her I was joking. It'll toughen her up to the realities of this cold, hard world. Once the girls were in bed, Ashley met up with me at Winton Ridge, and we watched the new Walking Dead with Brandy and Amos.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...