Sunday, January 16, 2005

My friends and I sat downstairs and watched the big screen. The show was about an American subculture where people modify their bodies with tatoos, piercings, burnings, whatever. From what I saw, it seemed to be pretty spiritual, just not the "Christian" spiritual most of my fellow readers are wrapped up in. So I was wondering, "What would it look like for Jesus to enter that community?"

Some would say that the tatoos, burnings, piercings would stop because Jesus was there.

I don't think so.

I think the thing about Jesus is that he didn't come to take things away, but to add. I think this subculture would become richer with Jesus. They would express themselves, and these tatoos, burnings and piercings could become acts of worship. I know it is insane for us to think about - most of us being pretty conservative whether we like it or not :-) - but that's what I think it would look like.

Also, check out Tom's latest post. Quite nice.

4 comments:

utech said...

some of the best witnessing times I have had is when I have been in the chair getting a tattoo.

The whole body mod culture is a very interesting one. But tattoos are the most spiritual, in my opinion, a piercing can be taken out but a tattoo (and scarification) is permanent. You have to be passionate (or drunk) in order to do it. It makes a statement, it says loud and clear THIS IS ME. It's like putting a bumper sticker on your body but it will never go away. And in my opinion should not be entered into lightly.

Rochelle said...

I don't have a problem with tatoos /piercings unless they are excessive and done for "show" I agree that you don't go into it lightly Make sure you can live with it because as my husband has found out they aren't easy or cheap to get taken off He was 19 when he got his and he regrets it now at 44 Most people don't know he has one because he keeps it well hidden

Anonymous said...

you want to make sure the "statement you make with the tatoo" is a statement you can live with for many years

Mike said...

A lot of people emphasize the references in Deutornomy about not scarring or tattooing yourself when confronting the "evils" of this culture. The reference is, from what I can decipher, not intended as rules for this generation thousands of years later, but instead a statement of direction for the Jewish people of the time to not continue doing the ritualistic scarification of the pagan religions.

When we take pieces of Scripture and use them to prove our opinions, we risk losing the true meaning of the words. We don't follow all of the laws and regulations of the Old Testament. For example, we do not cast a woman out of the city for a week while she is being visited by her "monthly friend." Nor do we adhere to the regulation to not eat pork, or to not eat any meat with blood still in it. As for me, I love bacon and I don't eat a steak unless it is cooked medium-rare.

We must be careful of our use of Scripture. It is not an answer book, nor is it ammunition for our agenda. As for tattoos and such, many of you know that I have a tat and plan on more. I incorporate my heritage (scotch-irish) and my faith into my tattoo designs. Celtic crosses, knotted rings, symbols of the Trinity, etc. come to mind. Unlike tattoos, piercings are not as permanent, but should not be entered into lightly.

I hope my comment helped to shed some light on the subject. Good stuff Anthony, keep pursuing truth.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...