Tuesday, January 11, 2005

My good friend Pat Dewenter and I went to a coffee shop in Centerville today. The young girl behind the counter looked familiar, and as of now I don't remember her name. She asked me, "Do you go to Springboro?" I said yes, told her she looked familiar, and then it hit me: she'd dropped out. No one ever heard from her again. She had been rumored to be messing around and kind of got the bad end of the dirty stick. As we talked I learned she didn't drop out; she had to work full-time to support herself, so she started taking online classes. She worked six hours a day, seven days a week at the coffee shop. We talked for some time, and she kept pushing deeper into conversation. I got pulled away, said, "See you later," and Pat and I drank our coffees.

Driving home in the Jeep, through the blizzard of rain, I suddenly realized how desperate she had been, and it all washed over me. It was so obvious! She was lonely and stressed; working full time, having been cut-off from her few friends at the high school (most of whom apparently turned against her), she was left alone and wigged-out, wanting just someone to like her, someone to talk with her, someone to be a friend. I wondered, "How did I miss this until it was too late?" My heart flooded - and now floods - with compassion. I just wish I could re:wind time and go back, stay at the counter, talk with her - no one else was ordering. The timing was perfect, almost pre-arranged.

It is times like these that I wish we were created with built-in systems to read other peoples' emotions. It would make things so much simpler.

8 comments:

Mike said...

anthony?!?!?! why didn't you turn around a go back? obviously the Spirit was leading you. you meed to go back in this week and try to pick up where you left off...those opportunities don't happen by chance....let me know if you need advice, support, or answers, i will be praying for you.

Rochelle said...

I would give you the same advice Mike did Anthony That missed opportunity has happened to all of us You know where she works Go back and talk to her again She was obviously comfortable talking to you and she definitely sounds lonely just be her friend If its the coffee shop I think it is they are very quiet in early/late afternoon

Doug Hill said...

anth...

relax bro... be cool. everything is alright. evangelism is a process, a journey...not an event. schedule more trips to the coffee house (btw...are you talking about the girl with short hair at Coffee Affair?), you will have time to win her heart to the Kingdom. don't feel any pressure to win her in one encounter.

this past meeting was the ice breaker... the next few meetings will help you establish trust. you're doing fine bro. beat the enemy up, not yourself.

darker than silence said...

The coffee shop is a different one - Sips Cafe, by Kroger and PetsMart

Rochelle said...

If you go back in there and see a lady with red hair named Debbie she has a wonderful heart for God I think she might even be the manager She used to work at Boston Stoker in DLM I hope your friend gets to know her as well
I have to tell you it's Pets Supplies Plus Kristen would have a heart attack if she thought you were promoting her competition PetSmart where Tyler works :)

Unknown said...

Anth, I know who you are talking about. Her names Brittany Gardener. Me and Kristen went there the other day and talked to her for like 20 min.(we beat you to the punch:) Shes a Christian from what shes told me and thats cool that you talked to her.

darker than silence said...

Dude that's so awesome!

darker than silence said...

Haha now I'll have something to talk with her about :-)

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...