Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Tonight we discussed the characteristics of God, and then we bowed down before the throne for several minutes of intense worship. One of the songs Lee and Pat led us forward on was, "Better is one day." After we finished the song, I said,

We've worshipped to "Better is One Day" three times in the last two days, including Sunday morning gathering and Student Revolution. Through each song, the words, "Better is one day in your courts..." have rang out with me. I used to imagine a courtroom with a big gavel and judgment, and then I'd think to myself, I don't like this song at all. Yet over the past few months, many friends and I have had discussions - sometimes very lengthy - and participated in lessons that revolve around the idea of Heaven not as a church service in the sky, but a paradise that is unlike anything we can imagine or hope for! How much better it really would be to spend just ONE DAY in that paradise. David Crowder's words instill hope and excitement within me in his song, Make a Joyful Noise/I will not be silent: "Running through the forest, dive into the lake, bare feet on beaches white; standing in the canyon, painted hills around, the wind against my skin..." I believe this is an extremely accurate portrayal of the paradise we will live in, and yet I must admit that I cannot even fathom it. How much better ONE DAY in that paradise would be than even a thousand, a million, as many days as there are stars, to spend here! The song continues to say, "One thing I ask and I would seek, to see your beauty... To find you in the place your glory dwells..." I don't think God will show us paradise before our time has come - to me, it's like spoiling a Christmas gift we can hardly imagine. I'm sure God will love the unparalleled smiles and excitement running through us when we first step into this new, renovated world known as paradise. One day, perhaps soon, perhaps later, I will find God in the place his glory dwells.

Jeff told us all there, on Sunday and even tonight, that he hoped the His Times of C.I.Y. would be found in these small groups. He had to leave for a worship team meeting, but had he stayed, I believe he would've been blown away. The worship was radiant. God saturated the atmosphere. He would go to sleep a very happy and joyful man :-). And so shall I.

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

Your small group sounds great I love that vision from the David Crowder song of "bare feet on beaches white" It might not be paradise to some but it is to me I pray that you see your group grow deeper in their faith..I know the other sponsors feel the same way We love all of you :)

Unknown said...

At first, it seemed like the small group would be like any other one. It kind of interested me. Until worship....when you start to worship its like the eyes of your soul open up. Its not boring,its just you and God. I loved it last night:) keep up the good work.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...