Friday, April 24, 2009

summer is on the doorstep

Summer is almost here, and I am getting excited. I still have so much to do for school in the next three weeks (including a midterm I missed back in March). I am moving into a house with my little sister and our friend Sarah, and I suspect we will have pretty good times. I landed a job working at a Girl Scout Camp (Camp Butterworth, what a ridiculous name), and I will be able to pay my bills with ease. I told my friend Corie, “I’m not looking forward to working, but it’s a blessing to have a job with a guaranteed thirty hours a week.” Certainly an answer to prayer. Lots of my friends will be remaining in Cincinnati: Kyle, Jessie, Julie, Isaac, Amos, etc. It will be good to have people over in the evenings. I did my finances and I’ll be able to afford one visit to The Anchor every week, as well as two trips to various coffee shops or bars in the Cincinnati area (my favorites are Rohs Street, Highlands, and Sitwell’s in Clifton; and The Blind Lemon in Mount Adams). I also want to get started on an exegesis of the Corinthian Correspondance. I have finished Romans, it is excellent, I love it, but it is only the beginning: I want to write an exegesis of the entire Hauptbriefe (Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians, and Galatians). It is ironic that Romans is probably the easiest one out of them all to do!

 

I am sitting at home in Dayton, but I am returning to Cincinnati tonight. Several of us—Julie, Brock, Corie, Mandy, Sarah, and David—are going to Highlands tonight to have a good time. Tomorrow I am writing an exegesis of a pericopae of The Gospel of Mark. Sunday I am preaching at Kyle’s church: “Musar: When God Disciplines His Children.” I’m pretty excited. I love teaching/preaching. I wrote most of the sermon this morning at The Anchor, where I had not only coffee but also eggs, toast, and bacon; the pretty waitress told me, “You’re eating today? I’m shocked!” Here is a scripture that I have really been thinking about lately:

 

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. – James 4.7-10, E.S.V.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...