Thursday, April 09, 2009

unleash the beast within

I am no casual observer.

The keys to my future are held in my hand.

I can either sit on my ass and stay where I am… Or I can move forward.


I’m content, but contentment does not erase the longings within me to be a different person. Physically. Mentally. Spiritually. Emotionally. There is always room for improvement. I have this vision often, a vision that creeps into my dreams, that haunts me when I wake. I’m sitting on the front porch of my yellow cottage-style house, the sun setting over the tops of the trees. I am smoking a cigar, listening to the birds and insects, and inside I can hear my children laughing and my wife washing the dishes. She comes out and joins me, and I snuff out my cigar and we sit on the swing, arms around each other, watching the sun setting.


I want to be a family man.

I want to be a loving husband and a loving father.

Sometimes this dream seems so far away.

Sometimes it seems as if I had better stop hoping.


But when it feels like I should embrace resignation, a voice whispers in my ear.

A voice telling me that I am no casual observer to my life.

A voice telling me that there is untapped potential within me.

A voice telling me that there is a beast within me waiting to be unleashed.

All I need to do is take the bolt-cutters, cut that chain, and let the Animal within roam free.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...