Thursday, December 31, 2009

the last week of 2009

Saturday. With the Christmas celebrations finished, I finally got a chance to just snuggle up on the couch and relax, and I spent nearly all of Saturday doing this, except for a trip to Tri-Health to visit Sarah before she headed to Wilmington and to eat my weekly Greek pizza. I also ordered two books off Amazon.com with a gift card, both analyses and critiques of Ernest Hemingway's literature.

Sunday. My friend Jobst came over in the afternoon, and we smoked his pipe and relaxed and talked about life and all its trimmings. Later that evening I went to my friend Maggie's house off 275, and I met a bunch of her other friends, and we played Apples-to-Apples, and I won three out of the four games (the first game I didn't even get a single point). The roads became pretty bad with the incessant snow, so I left around 11:30, navigating the back-roads and highways very carefully. I avoided the big hill leading to my house and instead cut through one of the worst parts of Price Hill. A prostitute tried to convince me to purchase her services, and I felt bad because she was alone, and it was cold, and the streets were empty, so I gave her two cigarettes instead and went on my way.

Monday. Monday was a pretty boring day, the highlight being Subway for lunch. Amanda's laptop crashed and I tried to fix it, but the viruses have completely infested the NTFS, and her computer is screwed. It will need to be wiped clean, and she'll need to reinstall everything, including the operating system.

Tuesday. I fixed Sarah breakfast before she went to work, and I joined Maggie, and we went to the Busken Bakery for breakfast and coffee, then perused Michael's and Jack's Aquarium and Pets, and we went to Urban Outfitters in Clifton. Later in the day I decided to buy a hamster, and I named her "Maebe," after the character from the television series "Arrested Development." Both Amanda and Sarah really like her. She's very curious and playful, and she's a daredevil--she'll leap blindly off counter-tops and will spiral to the ground, so we have to keep watch over her.

Wednesday. Yesterday we had several people over--Rob, Mandy, Tony, Chris--and we drank beer and had a pretty good time, lots of good conversation and lots of laughter.

Thursday. I took Mandy to Rob's work, where I got a sandwich on him and a free mocha. Sarah only worked half a day, so we spent the evening watching television. She is downstairs changing, she's going to her friend Katherine's in a few. I'm going to work out and relax, maybe watch another movie, and then tonight we're going to watch the ball drop and toast with glasses of white wine. It should be a good night--and tomorrow, January begins, and 2010 emerges, and we'll see if the next year holds anymore promise than this past one did.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...