Sunday, December 13, 2009

on hope/hopelessness

I admitted to a close friend, "What hurts the most isn't that S. doesn't like me, but that I hoped she would and yet another hope has been shown to be a disappointment. I am slowly beginning to fear the very idea of hope. If hope just disappoints, why hope? I haven't hoped for much in this life. I really haven't. But those things that I HAVE hoped for have always been disappointments." That conversation is long over, and I am sitting here before bed just thinking about my perception of things and, ultimately, my perception of hope as always being a disappointment. A few observations.

First, I have gone through several phases "hopelessness" in my life. While one hope that is a disappointment leads to hopelessness, that hopelessness evolves into the same hope but sketched differently. When that hope ends up being a disappointment, the cycle continues all over again. Maybe my hope should not be placed in these sketches but, overall, that one day a sketch of hope will blossom into the fruition and realization of that hope?

Second, I have gone through phases in my perception of hope. I will first perceive hope as a beautiful thing. Then, when that hope ends up being a disappointment, I will enter into a semi-nihilism where I perceive hope to be a damning lie. As the hopelessness intensifies, breeding apathy and despair, I slowly begin questioning that perception and begin toying again with the idea of hope, perhaps because hope is a sort of medicinal salve to my current despair. I will then hope in a grand scheme for things to get better, and then that hope will become narrow-windowed as it engulfs a certain scenario. The process then repeats itself over and over again.

Third, my behaviors are characterized by the stage of hope/hopelessness that I am in. Amidst hope, for example, I am more self-controlled, less prone to outbursts, more outgoing and happy, and I am more diligent and studious and meaningful in my actions. Amidst hopelessness, I start doing things I wouldn't normally do (usually in an effort to escape the pain of the hopelessness), I will at times lash out verbally and say really mean and hurtful things, I will become seclusive and reclusive, and I will distance myself from everyone except my closest friends, and I am generally apathetic towards all aspects of life.

Fourth, I enter into a religious depression when hopelessness invades. I become lazy in my prayers, and when I DO pray, the prayers are more often than not filled with more yelling and crying than anything else. I become apathetic towards "living the Christian life" and basically being the kind of person God wants me to be (I thank God for grace, and "thanking God" here is not a figure of speech). Ironically, amidst this religious depression, many of my "religious" dispositions are called into question, shattered, reformed. It is thanks to these religious depressions that I have grown spiritually, both as a person of God and in my knowledge and understanding of Him and His workings in the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Anthony Barnhart,

This message is from Robert Sullivan, over at Dark Recesses (www.darkrecesses.com). I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but interruption of the Christmas Holidays is past us.

We believe that you, Anthony Barnhart, and Dark Recesses can help each other.

Dark Recesses is an on-line horror fiction periodical, published by Boyd E. Harris and edited by Bailey Hunter, among others.

Dark Recesses wants to expand the contemporary definition of horror, to push the boundaries beyond the commercial marketplace definitions, by providing quality horror industry news and articles, and by publishing the best in short fiction, by today’s up and coming writers.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

Robert Sullivan
Dark Recesses
www.darkrecesses.com
darkrecessesads@hotmail.com
334-220-4117

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...