Tuesday, December 08, 2009

victoria's secret: a bitter ending

Last week I went to Victoria Secret to do some Christmas shopping. I wouldn't have chosen to go shopping there, but I had bought some men's cologne there several weeks ago and received a "Secret Santa" shopping card with $10 on it to be used at the store. Amanda and Sarah also received one, and I tagged along with them this past Saturday. I didn't go into the store, however; one awkward experience shopping there alone is enough for me. I'm already awkward enough; wandering around shelves of panties and bras and sifting through them made me feel even MORE awkward, and the fact that I was trying to NOT be awkward even intensified the situation. So I walked around the mall for a while and contemplated going to Starbucks but the line was too long. Anyways. When they finished shopping, we went to the Food Court and grabbed food, and Sarah noticed her credit card was missing. When we went to Aunti Emm's pretzels, she tried searching for it but couldn't find it, so she bummed a few bucks off me. Come Sunday, she still couldn't find it; and yesterday, she called her bank and realized there had been $700 charged to her account at several different stories in northeastern Cincinnati: Macy's (which is at the mall), Staples ("Who would spend $300 dollars at Staples?" "They have cameras and printers."), Wal-Mart, an alcohol store, etc. She was PISSED.

So we spent most of the day yesterday driving around northern Cincinnati trying to file a police report. We kept getting shifted to different stations. We then went to Tri-Health and got a free dinner from her friend Justin who works there, and we went by her mom's house in Hamilton, who loaned her some money so she can make it through the week. She showed me around her hometown, pointing out different locales and the ridiculous experiences she's had there. When we got back to the house, we did a cardio workout, and then the landlord, Justin, came by, to fix the sink and to check out the breaker (which has been messing up lately), and then the two of us stood outside, and he had Djarum cigarettes, which were pretty good, and we stood and talked about church and God and life for a good half hour. All-in-all, a pretty exciting day (though mostly at Sarah's expense).

Today will not be so exciting. I have two classes this afternoon and a power-point presentation to finish (which, honestly, I'll probably work on during my classes). Tomorrow I'll be in the university library for a while researching for a term paper on the Jewish experience of the Babylonian Exile, and Thursday morning I'll write the paper because it is due that day. Friday I don't have to work, but I'll be waking up at 7:20 anyways to eat breakfast with Sarah and then to go to the Hilltop and write a term paper on the Hebrew of Genesis 2, and then I'll be going to the library to do research for a paper on the complaints of Jeremiah. That's all my classwork for the day, and once it's done, all I have are exams, and then... I'm graduated! I'll be quite busy, but Thursday evening Sarah and I may be going up to see her aunt and uncle and to weigh-in for the weight-loss contest. I've been plateaued for a while, so I'm hoping it can break before then and I can lose a pound or two before we hop on the scale.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...