Saturday, October 11, 2014

*dayton reflections*

I'm spending the weekend hanging out with Sky since Mom & Dad are in Gatlinburg vacationing with some of our family. I always enjoy being at the house: it's a nice change of pace from the hustle and bustle of the city, and there's that certain "homecoming" warmth about it, that feeling of peace and security. It'll be prime time to watch some movies but not Netflix, since the internet's down. I have my Sunday shift covered, so I'll be able to see the Season 5 Premiere of The Walking Dead.

This week has been pretty good. I'll just put it succinctly: I've met someone. Or, rather, (re)met someone. Her name's Ashley, and we were friends my freshman year of college. We hadn't talked in years, but we met up for drinks in West Chester and have been talking A LOT ever since. She's a Christian, she has traditional morals and values, and she has two beautiful daughters, aged eight and two. I've spent a considerable amount of time with her and her daughters this week, and it's been fantastic. She came up to Dayton last night to meet Ams, and we hung out for several hours drinking hard ciders, and I fixed a crockpot chicken dinner paired with mashed potatoes and corn. Ams really likes her, which means a lot. I'm excited to keep talking with her, and excited to see where things go. I feel really comfortable with her, we have the same sense of humor, and we agree on the important issues when it comes to "life together," so there shouldn't be any wrench-in-the-gear surprises along the way (perhaps that's too optimistic; time will tell).

Am I concerned that some of the trust issues I have in the wake of everything with the Wisconsinite could jeopardize things? I wouldn't be honest if I said No. She really did a number on me, and I can already sense some of my issues coming to the surface. I'm fighting against them, and what Mandy did to me, I won't do to Ashley. I don't want to cause that level of pain. I won't say things absent thought, I won't make promises I might not keep, and I won't run from her because of anxiety or fear. She's been through so much, and she doesn't deserve that kind of treatment. 

In other news, I heard back from the church in Winchester, but I wasn't told anything conclusive. They're still interviewing some other candidates, and the senior minister said I did really well in my interview. I haven't heard anything from Mayhill, but I'm not too concerned. I would love to preach there again, but if I don't, I won't lose sleep over it. The youth minister from my home church resigned so I sent my resume to the Search Committee; the senior minister really liked my resume and told me he would be vouching for me. I'm hoping that the fact that I have a lot of experience at that church in particular will perk their interest in me. I would love to work there, and it would be cool to be close to Mom & Dad and to live in my old hometown again.

On that note, this blog will be going private soon. I'm thinking the change will come on Tuesday. This is what it means for YOU, my three loyal readers: you'll need to have a Google account (blogger, GMail, or anything associated with Google); type in the URL, and when it forbids you access, request access via your Google account. I'll have to approve it, and then you'll be able to read my blog just as you always have. This will help me weed out prying eyes and preserve my reputation as I continue seeking ministry jobs.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...