Monday, October 13, 2014

the 47th week

 

Monday. Ams came over for a couple episodes of Gilmore Girls before I headed up to West Chester to meet up with an old friend named Ashley. We got drinks at the Dingle House Irish Pub, and then we walked around Union Square and stood beside the fountain and talked late into the night. We both had a really good time, and I plan on hanging out with her again.

Tuesday. Ashley came by Ridgecrest to meet Ben & Jason. Ben played one of his famous concerts, had a meltdown, and once he recuperated he tried to marry Ashley and I with both a Catholic and a Jewish wedding. "This is the best second date I've ever been on!" she quipped. He kept calling her "Ashley Barnhart," which was pretty awkward. When my shift ended, we went to the Village Tavern here in Blue Ash: I had a beer and a shot of bourbon, and she had a Long Island Iced Tea. She'd never had one before and loved it. She wanted to see my place, so we left the bar (quite sober, mind you) and I showed off my Hobbit Hole. We were up till about 4 AM watching episodes of Gilmore Girls and talking.

Wednesday. I worked 3-7:00 and then headed up to Ashley's place. I got to meet her family, including her beautiful daughters. One of them is really into Pokemon and is trying to collect all 5000 cards. I told her my favorite Pokemon is Squirtle (because I like turtles), and she said she'd try to find me a Holographic Squirtle card. Ashley's sister is really cool, and we sat at the table talking World War Two history. Ashley has a trunk in the basement filled with WW2 relics, and on the table (just by chance) was the hydraulic operations manual for a PBY2-4 Catalina, a "Flying Boat" used for bombing and/or Search & Rescue operations in the Pacific Theater. Ashley is really into history, too, and colonial history is her favorite. She appreciates my rants on colonial America, and she even has a few comments here-&-there to supplement what I'm saying. I find that to be fairly awesome.

Thursday. I worked 8:30-4:00 in Blue Ash and then spent the evening hanging out with Ashley and her girls. Her oldest daughter found it to be a delight explaining to me how to operate the child safety locks around the house (she caught me dumbfoundedly trying to figure them out), and when I went out back she playfully locked me out and then requested my help in gathering some things in the kitchen for school tomorrow. Once the girls were in bed, Ashley and I headed to my place to watch some movies and talk history and theology late into the night.

Friday. Mom & Dad are in Gatlinburg, so I'm dog-sitting most of the weekend. Ams came up to the house to meet Ashley, and the three of us had dinner (chicken in the crockpot ladled over mashed potatoes and topped with corn) and drank hard ciders on the front porch. Ams really likes her, and Ashley likes Ams, and I think that's great. They both headed out, and I cuddled with Sky before bed.

Saturday. I slept in late and had Subway for lunch while watching Gravity. I headed to Blue Ash at 5 PM and spent the rest of the night watching movies with Jason. Ben arrived around 10:00, and shortly thereafter everyone (including myself) was in bed.

Sunday. I left Blue Ash around 8:00, picking up coffee at U.D.F. before the driving back to Dayton. I fixed a delicious breakfast: over-easy eggs, fried bacon, rye toast, and pancakes. I spent the afternoon watching movies: Elysium and District 9. I'm a big fan of both of them; that director knows how to make movies. I didn't have to work in Blue Ash this evening, so I took Sky to the park. We had a quiet evening in watching The Walking Dead before bed.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...