Monday, October 06, 2014

the 46th week


Monday. I biked to and from The Anchor for coffee and scripture, and after doing some "autumn wardrobe" shopping (I got a new pair of hiking boots and some button-up shirts), I went to Eden Park and hung out at the Duck Pond reading the Book of Titus and pondering life. I met up with Ams at her apartment, and I accompanied her as she ran some errands around town. We headed up to Mason and spent the evening hanging out with Blake, Traci, and Jeff. On my drive home I called Jobst and we caught up. I haven't really talked to him since we met up at Frisch's eons ago. He's going to become a member of the Eastern Orthodox Church this December; I'm hoping that two Sundays from now I can go with him to his church to (a) see him and (b) experience the orthodoxy. I'll be house-sitting in Dayton all weekend so it won't be too far of a drive.

Tuesday. I went to The Anchor and had Dusmesh buffet for lunch before working my 2-10:15 at Ridgecrest: Ben, Jason and I walked to the library and U.D.F. (they love it; I compare it to how when I was a kid, I loved being able to walk around the neighborhood and go to--you guessed it!--the library and U.D.F. with Chris, Pat, and Lee). When Jason saw me, he beamed larger than ever and gave me a big ol' bearhug. "I like you, Anthony!" he shouted. Jooniper told me, "All day Friday he couldn't stop talking about how much he missed you when he was on vacation and how he couldn't wait to see you again." 

Wednesday. After my time at The Anchor I explored La Boiteaux Woods, climbing down gullets and perching atop a rock on a dried-out creekbed to read scripture and pray. I worked 3-5:30 and then had an interview with a church an hour and a half east of here. I think it went fairly well, though some of the elders didn't like my humor (it's the kind of back-and-forth banter they like over there at Scion TC). They asked if I had any plans on getting married in February. "Funny story..." I told them. They asked my personality type, and I told them how I'm introverted. I mentioned how most ministers are introverts, and the senior minister backed me up on that. They said they'd contact me in a few weeks if they want me to come in for a "trial Sunday" to see how I do; they have one more interviewee. Some of them did have an issue with me not being married, but I took the line that because I don't have family obligations, I'll be able to devote more of my time and energy to ministry. 

Thursday. I went to the Anchor for coffee and scripture before working 8:30-4:00 with the guys. Mikaela relieved me. It's great to be able to see her again; I usually stay an extra ten-fifteen minutes just hanging out with her. "We should get coffee sometime!" she exclaimed. I'm totally down. I went to The Anchor after work to do some writing before spending the rest of the evening at Winton Ridge smoking cigars on the deck in the autumn chill, drinking wine, and eating pretzels with John, Brandy, and Andy. 

Friday. I had the morning off, which consisted of biking to & from The Anchor and watching movies in my apartment: Iron Man 3 and Flight. I met up with the Tomeos for dinner and drinks at Rock Bottom. Lennon was consumed by The Diary of a Whimpy Kid and Adler was toting around a book on all the Disney princesses. "It's the latest rage at the library," Tibbles quipped. Eric got me up-to-speed on the going-ons at Tazza Mia: the cafe's entirely gutted and the roaster has been reassembled at Rhinegeist. He's working his ass off but loves the fact that the cafe is closed. "It's a relief for everyone," I mused. He told me I need to come down to Rhinegeist and see him when he's working. "Bob has a big fridge by the roaster that's filled with dented bottles and cans of beer that we can drink whenever we want." I like the thought of lounging on the sofa, drinking beer, and hanging out with Eric some Monday morning.

Saturday. Jessie and Tony are in town, so Jessie and I met up at The Anchor for coffee, breakfast, and catching-up. She's always so supportive and encouraging; I'm grateful for the enduring friendship we've had. "God knew we would need each other," she said. I like to think she's right. I worked 10:30-1:00 with Aaron in Delhi, and then Tyler came down from Mason and we got beers from Party Source, dinner from Burger King, and we spent the evening hanging out, laughing, and reminiscing. 

Sunday. I was up until 3:30 AM last night talking on the phone with an old friend. I woke early and went to The Anchor but got a massive headache; I'm assuming it's because of all the beer I drank last night. I skipped church to try to sleep it off, and before my 8-Midnight shift I went to The Anchor for coffee and scripture. I headed home around midnight, the warm air blasting through the vents, listening to Christian music and feeling optimistic about life.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...