Tuesday, October 28, 2014

#keehnerpark, et. al.

@keehnerpark

Ashley, the girls, and I spent most of yesterday at the park: no rains, a high of eighty degrees, and good visibility made the perfect day for a nature excursion. Ashley and Zoey stuck together, and I took Chloe on an extended exploration: we combed the creek for crayfish and snakes, and we came to a watering hole filled with fish. She's very intelligent and curious, and she was constantly asking me questions about nature. I pushed her to challenge herself, and she was scared to climb a steep hill, but I showed her how to gauge the terrain, use distended roots and jutting rocks for handholds, and the importance of always having one foot connected to something as you climb. She was pretty timid at first, but then she wanted to find more "cliffs" to scale. 

Keehner Park is a hotspot for teen sex.
We heard a couple in the woods, and I had an idea:
sneak up on them like a Shawnee warrior,
and then dash from the undergrowth with the Indian halloo!
I decided against it. Ashley supported the idea, but there was one problem:
I'd left my warpaints at home.
"We'll come back in the spring, and I'll be ready."

I've been getting close to the girls, and it's brought me both Joy and Fear. Joy, because I genuinely like them and love spending time with them; and Fear, because there's no guarantee that this will end with me in the girls' lives for the "long haul." It's tricky business, dating someone with kids. It really is. Especially when the kids like you. "I've never seen them get this close to anyone I've dated," Ashley told me. "Chloe is always asking when you'll be back around, and Zoey treats you with the same warmth she treats her Grandpa. She's never been that way with anyone." It's heartwarming and terrifying, all at the same time.

"It really doesn't bother you?" she asked. "Me having kids?"
Absolutely not. I've always liked kids, and I've always been family-oriented.
I like helping Chloe with her homework, and helping her practice for exams.
I like being goofy with Zoey, picking her up and swinging her around.
I like leading us in prayer before meals.
I like giving them hugs before they go to bed.
I like all of that. It doesn't turn me away.
Can Zoey's temper tantrums be a little overbearing at times?
They sure can (but I've gotten good at tuning stuff out; I work with Ben, after all).

Speaking of Ben, here's some candids we took the other night:


If I land the preaching position with Mayhill, I'm planning on dropping my remote shifts but continuing to work at Ridgecrest. I love these guys, and as trying as they can be at times, I know I'll miss them when the time comes for us to part ways. 

I had an interview with my home church this past Sunday. I think it went fairly well; I'll hear back from them if they're interested in moving me farther along in the candidates' process. I fear I may have shot myself in the foot, though; in an interview, you should NEVER use the word "excommunicate" in reference to how to deal with troublesome teens. That's the first thing they teach you! In my defense, contextually the word makes sense. But I fear it may have jeopardized my chances.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...