Sunday, July 11, 2004

God is so amazing. I never really thought about it so in depth, but God has blessed me SO MUCH in the arena of authentic, real and caring friendships. Four years ago, I can think of only ONE friend I had, the faithful and true and hilarious Zach Southard. He was the only friend I had in those years, and I owe him a lot for keeping my hopes high. But times shifted, and I slipped into a depression that lasted for two years. I was constantly depressed, sorrowful, sad, and cried a lot when I was alone. People at my church rejected me, laughed at me, made fun of me, mocked me (hey, they've all changed, okay?), but I didn't exactly help my situation. I made lots of sad and pathetic attempts at friendships that spiraled into disaster. So my life got--excuse the language if it offends you--crappier and crappier. It was here that I turned to God, completely and full-heartedly, cried out to him every moment of every day, surrendered my entire being to him. I thought, "What can I give him? My life is so terrible and horrible. But I'll give it to him anyways." At the darkest moment of my soul, I saw the light, and grasped it. Four years ago, things started climbing up. I met three cool guys who instantly transformed my life; three simple teens who let me befriend them, and who gave me their own friendship. Chris Williams. Pat Dewenter. Lee Williams. Amazing people. They would probably laugh to hear it, but I thank God every day for them. They helped dig me out of the depression. God worked in my life, performed a miracle of renewal. A miracle of complete cleansing. The depression washed away. FINALLY I had friends to talk to about my problems. Friends who listened. And friends who knew they could talk to me. Those three friendships expanded me to make many more friendships with others at Southwest Church/412 and also at school. As a friend commented, "Anthony, I know you think you're one of the most outcasted people out there, but you have so many friends and such a huge fan base."

God did what he always does: miracles.

Turned a life of crumbling emotions, tear-stained pillows and shattered feelings, gut-wrenching anguish to a life of hope, faith, excitement, daily hilariousness and fun, not to forget love.

"If my people will humbly pray, turn from sin and their wicked ways, I will hear them and heal their land, and show my glory and power again." - 2 Chronicles 7:14


No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...