Monday, July 05, 2004

the 26th week

this guy... (Dylan)
Mom's Birthday. Jesus is for the lost, the confused, those who aren't getting along great in this world. Real spirituality is unpretending, incompetent, unfinished and for the desperate. To say you have it all figured out, that you're at your spiritual peak, is to be ignorant and wrong. Oh, and self-centered prayers? What a crock. Real spirituality--not reading Christian books or the Bible, not going to church--real spirituality is Jesus. I woke the girls up and we went to the Mall to get Mom's birthday gift. We went to a few libraries after lunch, and then we went over to Ashlie's. They watched The Texas Chainsaw Massacre upstairs and I watched The Postman downstairs.

Tuesday. I spent the afternoon lounging around the house, and then Chris, Pat D. and Lee came over, followed by Hank and Ashlie, and then Jeff showed up. We had a great D-Group and I took Lee to his driving class. Everyone but Ams went to see Dodgeball, and then Pat D. and I went to Deals. He bought a $1 watch. We went to his place, went to a park by his house, swung on the swing-sets and played on the monkey-bars and contemplated life. He simplified his room; so did I. 

Wednesday. Hank, Pat D., Chris, Lee, and I went over to the Howard's house, and from there we went with Jeff & Angie to work on a house in Miamisburg to raise funds for our upcoming C.I.Y. trip. Chris, Hank and Pat D. went to band practice, and Lee, Ams, Ash & I ("The A-Team," Lee says) got lost looking for food and finally stumbled upon a Lee's Chicken. We somehow ended up in Franklin? We worked on the house till the late afternoon, and then Zach, Kristen, Megan, Anna and Emily showed up to take over. I worked 4-9:00 and spent the rest of the night piecing together the U-Turn lesson for tomorrow. It ought to be a decent-sized group: Ash, Ams, Jimmy, Chris, Pat D., Shelby, maybe even Anna & Emily H. 

Thursday. We spent the morning and afternoon back at the house in Miamisburg, scraping wallpaper. Pat D. didn't show up, later called asking to be picked up from his friend Carly's house where he spent the night. I picked him up, and we went to the Williams' to get Chris. We went back to the house, and Jimmy & Shelby showed up. U-Turn was average. People weren't too talkative. The lesson was on prayers. At 8:30 we had a Crank's Creek meeting at the church. I can't wait for the trip. Mom is mad at Chris and Pat D., as she should be: they need to be far more respectful. 

Friday. Lost forever (missing page).
Saturday. Lost forever (missing page).

Independence Day. Church was amazing; I could almost see myself at the Last Supper, could almost hear Jesus' words during communion. I took Ashlie & Ams to Ashlie's house, and they ordered cheese pizza. I'm excited about tomorrow: C.I.Y. begins! Lately I've been overcome with tiny insecurities, fears, challenges; and I know all must be overcome, crucified, shot and mauled. Turn your face to their ugly heads. Speak up, stand up, run on impulse and follow your heart. Don't conform, face your fears, break down and wipe tears with blood. We were supposed to go horseback riding, but they were closed. So we went to the beach at Caesar's Creek instead, and I went swimming. We saw fireworks in a church parking lot, and we packed for the trip tomorrow. Dylan came back from church camp. Good news: he says he has so much to talk to me about, says he's changed. I believe him. I hope and pray he doesn't slide back.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...